Tennessee had 8 kids commit today

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How does this even happen?

giphy.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Look to your left, and look to your right. There's a 50% chance the person standing next to you won't be here on signing day..."

Butch Jones version of the shaft.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You hate to say it, but this. At this point it's no secret what Jones does. If you sign on with him, you understand that it may happen to you too.

I get that these kids are 18, but it's not a secret anymore. EVERYBODY knows, and as they say "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I were a kid being offered by Tennessee, I'd demand a "grant-in-aid" agreement before committing. That way, the school would be obligated to me. If Jones refused to provide a grant-in-aid agreement, then I'd really know how much he wanted me. Parents just need to be smart. There are simple ways to prevent the games some of these coaches play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If I were a kid being offered by Tennessee, I'd demand a "grant-in-aid" agreement before committing. That way, the school would be obligated to me. If Jones refused to provide a grant-in-aid agreement, then I'd really know how much he wanted me. Parents just need to be smart. There are simple ways to prevent the games some of these coaches play.

That's only for premature matriculators, iiuc

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's only for premature matriculators, iiuc
I believe the rule was that if you were an early entry, and had a grant-in-aid, then there could be unlimited contact. There is no rule that prohibits a school from providing a grant-in-aid to a prospective student at any time prior to matriculation. However, there are clearinghouse rules that have to be followed before a grant-in-aid can be offered. These rules are not inconsequential, and there's a fair amount of paperwork that needs to be done, but there is no time restriction on a grant-in-aid to my understanding.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I believe the rule was that if you were an early entry, and had a grant-in-aid, then there could be unlimited contact. There is no rule that prohibits a school from providing a grant-in-aid to a prospective student at any time prior to matriculation. However, there are clearinghouse rules that have to be followed before a grant-in-aid can be offered. These rules are not inconsequential, and there's a fair amount of paperwork that needs to be done, but there is no time restriction on a grant-in-aid to my understanding.

I just looked it up, and iiuc those starting this summer (after July 1) could not submit fin aid forms until this past Jan
This year they can submit after Oct 1