Ten Best Fight Songs in College Football

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, maybe the Victory March is a better fight song, but it's a photo finish. I'd put Ramblin' Wreck in a two way tie for first myself. The old Big Ten songs are too pompous. Third = Aggie War Hymn.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the first five on this list just demonstrates to me that most college teams and their fans do not understand the concept of a "fight song."

"The Victors" is a victory march song. Great history, tradition, story, connections to Gerald Ford and John Philip Sousa and it is a legitimately first class marching song. Its pomposity makes sense as a post-win anthem; like the Yankees playing Sinatra singing "New York, New York" after a win. Hilariously, they play the same song sung by Liza Minelli after a loss.

How "Rocky Top" is continually added on these kind of lists is a head scratcher. It is a wonderful Bluegrass song and as such is basically the property of all southerners anywhere, let alone just Tennesseans. But even as the state song it being played by the flagship state university does not magically transform it into a "fight" song. UGA may as well sing "Georgia (on My Mind)" and call it there fight song.

The list finally gets to real fight songs with Notre Dame and Texas A&M. They are both solid. The problem with the Aggies is that their lyrics are almost all pointing to the Longhorns. It is too single-minded to be the best of fight songs.

"Ramblin' Wreck" avoids all the above criticisms. In fact, so does "Up with the White and Gold."