Tech signs kickers

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
For those who love the kicking game -- and think GT-Georgia oughta happen every week -- Tech has 2017 commitments from the HS No. 1 punter and the No. 4 placekicker, if ratings services are to be believed. Probably the biggest attraction was the realization that come their first football season they will qualify for 13 weeks unemployment.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For those who love the kicking game -- and think GT-Georgia oughta happen every week -- Tech has 2017 commitments from the HS No. 1 punter and the No. 4 placekicker, if ratings services are to be believed. Probably the biggest attraction was the realization that come their first football season they will qualify for 13 weeks unemployment.
Yeah, I'm still pissed we wasted a scholly on that Butker kid a few years ago. What were our coaches thinking???

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
How many stars are they ranked by the services?

Both are 2 star, kickers and punters are rarely, if ever, rated higher than that. The typical rating services have limited to no skills to evaluate kickers or punters. There is a specialized rating service that has Harvin #2 nationally and Bulovas #4.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Both are 2 star, kickers and punters are rarely, if ever, rated higher than that. The typical rating services have limited to no skills to evaluate kickers or punters. There is a specialized rating service that has Harvin #2 nationally and Bulovas #4.
Is Bulovas a punter? If so, how perfect a name is that for a punter...a good one?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
kickers are OBVIOUSLY a lot easier to evaluate that many positions--ie:OL , a couple of workouts could tell a LOT, no need of star rating, and trust it translates to game

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
kickers are OBVIOUSLY a lot easier to evaluate that many positions--ie:OL , a couple of workouts could tell a LOT, no need of star rating, and trust it translates to game

Sorry but I disagree with that presumption. Kickers and punters are notoriously hard to translate to the next level with the exception of leg strength. Rushes are faster at the collegiate level forcing kickers/punters to get the kick off quicker. Edge rushers are much more skilled at slipping blocks and blocking kicks. Accuracy in kicking to a spot is much more critical and directional kicking, both kick offs and punting, is almost never done at the HS level. In most HS associations PKs kick off a different tee, kickoffs into the endzone are an automatic touch back.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with oldjacket kickers and punters not easy to translate. We signed top kickers in the past that never panned out just like alot of other positions. Frankly its not easy to translate but if it does its a superiorly important win to get good ones.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with oldjacket kickers and punters not easy to translate. We signed top kickers in the past that never panned out just like alot of other positions. Frankly its not easy to translate but if it does its a superiorly important win to get good ones.
Pretty sure Rodwell was decently rated (he was on scholly, and you wouldn't give one out to a non-elite kicker prospect), and we all saw how well he punted last year. I've seen a few too many under 20 yard punts for my liking. I like what I'm seeing with the current prospects though. Punter looks legit and the kicker has a cannon leg.