Tech Recruiting in Georgia High School Football Daily Aug. 30, 2024

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia High School Football Daily Aug. 30, 2024

Hopefully the link above works.

Georgia High School Football Daily newsletter for August 30, 2024 includes a list of the 4 & 5 star Georgia Tech recruits from Georgia for this century.

This list gives hope for the future as there are 6 on the list.

However, what stands out to me is how many did not pan out for Tech. Of the 32 listed, 6 haven't enrolled yet and a couple more is too early to tell. I see maybe 6 who lived up to the billing and didn't transfer out. Is that 25% success rate similar to other school top recruits? 6/(32-8)=25%

I'm hoping we have a better success rate with the new recruits.

WR Calvin Johnson, Sandy Creek

OT Josh Petty, Fellowship Christian

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Dalton

WR Morgan Burnett, North Clayton

RB Jonathan Dwyer, Kell

DL Christian Garrett, Prince Avenue Christian

CB Dalen Penson, Sandy Creek

WR Isiah Canion, Warner Robins

OT Damola Ajidahun, Duluth

DUAL Joshua Nesbitt, Greene County

SDE Francis Kallon, Central Gwinnett

CB Ryan Ayers, South Paulding

OT Shamire DeVine, Tri-Cities

IOL Justin Hasenhuetl, Rabun Gap-Nacoochee

WDE Anthony Williams, Union Grove

K David Jordan, Brookstone

WDE Jared Ivey, North Gwinnett

DT J.C. Lanier, Emanuel County Institute

RB Antonio Martin, Hughes

TE Leo Blackburn, Westlake

OT Nick Claytor, Gainesville

DT Denzel McCoy, Northview

ATH James Graham, Fitzgerald

OG Omoregie Uzzi, Chamblee

RB Jam Griffin, Rome

CB Roderick Sweeting, Luella

WR D.J. Donley, Charlton County

LB Trenilyas Tatum, Mount Zion (Jonesboro)

S Fenix Felton, Eagle's Landing Christian

WR Nate McCollum, Dutchtown

ATH Myles Autry, Norcross

DT Shawn Green, Grayson

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
However, what stands out to me is how many did not pan out for Tech. Of the 32 listed, 6 haven't enrolled yet and a couple more is too early to tell. I see maybe 6 who lived up to the billing and didn't transfer out. Is that 25% success rate similar to other school top recruits? 6/(32-8)=25%
I think you're being too harsh on your "did not pan out" criteria. If we got a good year or two out of a player, I would consider them a success in today's portal-happy environment. Kallon was rated on raw physical talent, he wasn't expected to be a year-one starter. I think James Graham could have been a star for us in the role he was originally recruited for.

I haven't done the math but I would guess our hit rate is closer to 50+% based on looser criteria, possibly more if you set the bar at "solid starter even though not a superstar". No doubt we've had a number of misses.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you're being too harsh on your "did not pan out" criteria. If we got a good year or two out of a player, I would consider them a success in today's portal-happy environment. Kallon was rated on raw physical talent, he wasn't expected to be a year-one starter. I think James Graham could have been a star for us in the role he was originally recruited for.

I haven't done the math but I would guess our hit rate is closer to 50+% based on looser criteria, possibly more if you set the bar at "solid starter even though not a superstar". No doubt we've had a number of misses.
I admittedly excluded those who transferred to another school after doing well here. And I’m not sure if the misses aren’t more reflective of the recruiting ranking process in general than of Tech.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes on Graham. I've posted this before:

This is Graham in his junior year. It is, without exception, the best highlight film I've ever seen of any QB anywhere. Watch and be amazed and drastically disappointed. If TFG had let Petenaude run his regular O - heavy on QB runs - instead of trying to force square blocks into round holes (sorta defines him, nicht warh?) we could have had real winner on our hands. Instead, his talent was wasted. And, of course, he would have been absolute murder in the spread option.

PS: Where's Hobie Holiday on the list? He was the highest rated LB we ever recruited, but never found his niche. Too bad.

Last edited: