Tech offense

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Tori wrote a really good piece on The Athletic about our offense where she ranked our position groups relative to one another. I particularly liked the comment from CGC when he said we are moving from a scheme based offense to player based. Well worth a read.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tori wrote a really good piece on The Athletic about our offense where she ranked our position groups relative to one another. I particularly liked the comment from CGC when he said we are moving from a scheme based offense to player based. Well worth a read.

That's actually the definition of a Pro Style offense, is a player based offense. So even we bust out a ton of options and runs next year he can still say that we are prostyle because we "focus on what the players do best". It's really good marketing by a coach who excels at it.

slugboy

Staff member
I learned pro style was tight end, flanker, split end, fullback, tailback.
Not too many fullbacks any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When did you learn that? 10 years ago? You really need to watch the pro’s play now. A lot different.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I learned pro style was tight end, flanker, split end, fullback, tailback.
Not too many fullbacks any more

Listening this summer to a bunch of NFL Radio discussions by Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and they were giving their ratings of each team’s “11 personnel” groups. That’s 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR. They did that because it’s apparently the dominant grouping in the NFL right now by a large margin.

Of course some teams use it more and others less but overall far more plays were run with that grouping last year than any other.

I think what you described is “21 personnel” and for sure that was at one time the dominant grouping.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
That's actually the definition of a Pro Style offense, is a player based offense. So even we bust out a ton of options and runs next year he can still say that we are prostyle because we "focus on what the players do best". It's really good marketing by a coach who excels at it.

I think it was meant to be in more general terms. Patenaude commented that he likes 50/50 run/pass, but will be flexible according to what the team does best, but still stay well balanced.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think it was meant to be in more general terms. Patenaude commented that he likes 50/50 run/pass, but will be flexible according to what the team does best, but still stay well balanced.

Oh I know but the way they have been talking has been the way pro teams talk aka "Get the ball to julio"

Jmonty71

Banned

I am not a fan of the term scheme based, personally. All offenses have a scheme.. The triple option is just one scheme out of many. Pro-set, run and shoot, option, run first, pass happy.... all are schemes. It comes down to execution. Always has and always will. Regardless of the offense, if someone fails to do something, it fails that offensive play. Just my 2 cents.