TE Position Group Thoughts

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Just some random thoughts on the TE position group which seemed to be a big area of concern going into the season with Seither going down for the year.

- I don’t know if Jackson Hawes can catch but holy hell can that kid block. Rewatching our offensive plays and he hardly seemed to put a foot wrong. Just obliterating their LBs. Lined up everywhere too. Normal, in motion, looked like he was playing RT at some points, and was the lead blocker as a WR for the Singleton reception that got us back into FG range at the end (pushed Juanyeh’s little brother back about 10 yards). Possibly a PotG performance at first glance.

- I didn’t immediately notice how much Boyd played, but he flashed some noticeable athleticism on the 1 reception he had. Looked like a tank and was really moving. Hopefully we can see some more of him as the season progresses.

- Didn’t notice if Goede, Harpring, or anybody else played. But think we’re in good hands with Hawes. Feels like he’s probably the main guy moving forward. Biggest issue might end up being defenses just following him to the ball.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Just some random thoughts on the TE position group which seemed to be a big area of concern going into the season with Seither going down for the year.

- I don’t know if Jackson Hawes can catch but holy hell can that kid block. Rewatching our offensive plays and he hardly seemed to put a foot wrong. Just obliterating their LBs. Lined up everywhere too. Normal, in motion, looked like he was playing RT at some points, and was the lead blocker as a WR for the Singleton reception that got us back into FG range at the end (pushed Juanyeh’s little brother back about 10 yards). Possibly a PotG performance at first glance.

- I didn’t immediately notice how much Boyd played, but he flashed some noticeable athleticism on the 1 reception he had. Looked like a tank and was really moving. Hopefully we can see some more of him as the season progresses.

- Didn’t notice if Goede, Harpring, or anybody else played. But think we’re in good hands with Hawes. Feels like he’s probably the main guy moving forward. Biggest issue might end up being defenses just following him to the ball.

Goede and Beetham also played. I did not see Harpring.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Im sure the plan was to redshirt Harpring but Seither’s injury may have changed that. Maybe he will get some burn against State, then the final decision will be made. He is 4th on the depth chart it seems, but one more injury and he will be pressed into service

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Snap counts at TE according to PFF:

Jackson Hawes - 47
Josh Beetham - 9
Ryland Goede - 8
Avery Boyd - 6

I imagine we'll see more Boyd or Goede or Harpring mixed in with a less run-heavy game.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Seither going out for the year probably hurts the passsing game for the remainder of the year. Hopefully Boyd and Goede are able to help out and contribute there, but Hawes is a force in the run game. If he can catch and run even a little bit that sets up potentially huge openings and mismatches when the D sets up to stop the run.