Surprise, surprise... ACC head of officials backs calls

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The targeting call and the incomplete to Smelter call.

From the ajc:

"Rhoads reviewed the plays and stood by them as called, according to the league office. Through a Fox spokesman, former NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira, now a rules analyst at Fox Sports, said he would approve both calls as made. Of the targeting penalty, Pereira said, “There is helmet contact without the arm extended, so by rule it does fall under the appropriate description for that foul.”

ACC tobacco road mafia strikes again. The funny thing is, if the ref crew had called a halfway decent game, the league would currently have two of the 7 remaining undefeated teams in the country. Yeah, we still could have done enough to win in spite of that, but we why should we have to overcome that, too?

What burns me most are the horrid no calls that Duke got away with.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
They picked the two easiest of the actual penalties called. I agree that the targeting call was borderline, but it was a defensible call. I wouldn't have made the call and I'm betting most refs wouldn't have. I think this was an early attempt to "establish order" in a game where it was obvious that both teams were ready to knock.

I also didn't think the pass to Smelter was a completion. He didn't have possession long enough before the ball skimmed the ground.

But, of course, they've avoided the actual problem: the penalties that weren't called. Especially the hold on Freeman, as clear as crystal and right in front of the ref and HL. Both should have thrown the flag. I was watching the play with my binochs and they must have heard me on the field; I don't think I ever yelled so loudly at a Tech game before. That no-call alone should get these clowns a permanent ban from Grant Field.

They picked the two easiest of the actual penalties called. I agree that the targeting call was borderline, but it was a defensible call. I wouldn't have made the call and I'm betting most refs wouldn't have. I think this was an early attempt to "establish order" in a game where it was obvious that both teams were ready to knock.

I also didn't think the pass to Smelter was a completion. He didn't have possession long enough before the ball skimmed the ground.

But, of course, they've avoided the actual problem: the penalties that weren't called. Especially the hold on Freeman, as clear as crystal and right in front of the ref and HL. Both should have thrown the flag. I was watching the play with my binochs and they must have heard me on the field; I don't think I ever yelled so loudly at a Tech game before. That no-call alone should get these clowns a permanent ban from Grant Field.
The non-call on Justin's leg-twisting should have been addressed too. One might attempt to justify it by saying that momentum caused it, and that is indeed possible on the tackle itself. But there's no way momentum carried over through the defender attempting to stand up while continuing to twist Justin's leg. OBVIOUS personal foul there.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
C

PJ specifically said he didn't during radio show for what it's worth.
I guess he thinks they are not unbiased, and calling them out will only make them more biased against us. Too bad because the mauling of Freeman with two officials right there. Also there is the unnecessary roughness twisting JT5 ankle since you know an official was right there because it was an OOB play. The mauling of Freeman is one I will never forget. Never recall seeing such a blatant no call, especially with 2 officials looking at the play. It could easily have been a sack.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Never recall seeing such a blatant no call, especially with 2 officials looking at the play. It could easily have been a sack.

I have. Saw the same thing in a homecoming game against UVa a few years ago. UVa completed a pass for the game winning TD while their OL's arm wrapped around the GT player's neck prevented a sack. Ref was staring right at the foul, and no call.

More fouls go uncalled in the passing game than the rushing game, which is one reason college offenses have trended toward more passing since the mid-80's.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Some bad calls for sure, but there weren't enough to say they cost us the game. Fact is we still win without JT's two horrible interceptions. Or actually punching in the two redzone chances we had on the first two drives. That game shouldn't have been close enough for the refs to affect. That's on us.

Only problem I have is with the guy rolling up JT. And that's not a call the refs likely see on the field. But it's a play that POS should be suspended for.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember a play against Duke, at duke, 3 years ago, when Renfree was QB. Brandon Watts beat his man and was going to clobber the QB, but the OT had his arm drapped around the neck in an obvious hold. QB threw a TD, no holding called.

It's not the 1st time, won't be the last. Duck Fuke.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Somebody seriously expect anything different?

This is the ACC we are in. Competence from refs is not like it is in real football conferences.