Sugiura: Football lessons bring Johnson, daughter closer together

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Check this out:

Mozart’s Don Giovanni – Singers and Orchestra of the Prague Summer Nights Music Festival

Thursday, July 7 – 7:00pm
Friday, July 8 – 7:00pm
Saturday, July 9 – 2:00pm & 7:00pm

Stavovské divadlo (Estates Theatre, Prague)

CAST

Don Giovanni: Tiago Matos & Javier Arrey
Leporello: Nan Qin & John Holland
Donna Anna: Kaitlyn Johnson & Yuji Bae
Donna Elvira: Caroline Jamsa & Shaina Sanders
Don Ottavio: Thomas Cilluffo & Samuel Stalker
Masetto: Matthew Woorman & Zachary Elmassian
Zerlina: Michelle Ryan & Ahyoung Jeong
Commendatore: Edward Lim

Prague Summer Nights Festival Orchestra

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Y'all, this is a big deal.

Mozart premiered "Don Giovanni" in that very theatre back in 1787. It continues to play there often, and to large crowds. I saw the very same opera there in 1996 while in Prague. The theatre is stunning, and is used in the film "Amadeus" along with many other Prague locations. Its beauty continues on the outside, as the building is the highlight of the short walk from Prague's "new" town to the famous "Old Town" square.

Her folks are justifiably proud, as you might guess.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Mozart premiered "Don Giovanni" in that very theatre back in 1787. It continues to play there often, and to large crowds. I saw the very same opera there in 1996 while in Prague. The theatre is stunning, and is used in the film "Amadeus" along with many other Prague locations. Its beauty continues on the outside, as the building is the highlight of the short walk from Prague's "new" town to the famous "Old Town" square.

I am certain they are, as they should be. But I can't be the only one struggling with the idea of Paul Johnson having an opera singer in the family. Bet if he was home when she practiced it was brutal.

The role of Donna Anna is a MAJOR role too. Among others in the past who have specialized in that role is Leontyne Price, considered one of the greatest dramatic sopranos of the last half of the 20th century. I'd say that Kaitlyn is in good company.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I am certain they are, as they should be. But I can't be the only one struggling with the idea of Paul Johnson having an opera singer in the family. Bet if he was home when she practiced it was brutal.

What, make her do up-downs if she didn't hit a high note just right?
Granted, Paul's musical taste is more George Strait than Verdi or Mozart, but he's proud of his daughter. Wonder if she'd ever sing the national anthem before a Tech sporting event or if she has?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Supersize I did not print all the playbill but the stage director is former Met great baritone Sherrill Milnes.
Gotta be one of the great teachers young Miss Johnson will ever encounter. She hit the jackpot with this job.
I know beans about opera, though I am impressed that some on the board clearly know a lot. But while I have no clue what they are singing I do admire the voices they project. It requires a discipline evident in no other genre, a word I never thought I would use. Good on her.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What, make her do up-downs if she didn't hit a high note just right?
Granted, Paul's musical taste is more George Strait than Verdi or Mozart, but he's proud of his daughter. Wonder if she'd ever sing the national anthem before a Tech sporting event or if she has?
As to Number One: what, you think he wouldn't? As to Number Two: that actually is a really good idea that maybe someone might pass on to the AD as a request. I don't trust marketing types to ever get anything right, including the obvious. This oughta be a gimme putt.