State of College Basketball

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I disagree with the premise of this article. Completely. To agree with it, one has to admit college basketball is entertainment first and foremost. Having played basketball at the high school and college levels, I can say that the game I love is just as competitive (no, more so) than when I played. It is played with more intensity than ever. Guys are not sleep walking for 20 seconds of every possession, then finally running a futile ball screen to create a pick and pop. One thing I agree about is that defenses are better. Players are spending more time in the weight room and are bigger and faster. That is not opinion. It's fact. When I played there seemed to be a lot of room on the floor. I could almost always count on being open in the corner about where the 3-point line is today. Those shots are contested attempts today. The top of the key was considered a long shot, and that is about five feet inside the current 3-point arc. The better overall defense is the factor limiting scoring.

The median points per minute in the NBA this past season was 2.1 points. This stat is boosted by the official ban of the zone defense. And the best offensive players in the world. In the ACC, three teams averaged right at 2.0 ppm. One was Duke; the other two were Notre Dame and UNC. Virginia averaged 1.6 ppm and won the ACC by playing 3M 5200 defense. Before Justin Anderson was lost (essentially) for the season, I thought Virginia was the best fundamental basketball team I had ever seen. And they made their success by keeping the other team from scoring more points than Virginia. ppm and ppg just did not matter. Wins and losses are what mattered.

There is one thing the NCAA could do to improve scoring without changing the game's basic rule set. The biggest difference between NBA scoring and NCAA scoring is the zone defense. Outlaw that and you will see ppg increase overnight. Changing the size of the court would give players more space and help the offenses, but it would upset the the game itself. So would other suggested changes. The question as to whether those changes would actually improve the game is an open one.

But it all comes back to this issue. Is a 100-95 game a better game than a 55-50 game? Are the players less or more committed to win? Are the coaches in the 100 point game doing a better job than the guys in the 50 point game? The writer takes the premise that more points mean a better game as an article of faith. I think he is wrong. As a basketball fan I do not care if media guys get better TV ratings with high scoring games. I want good basketball. And, defense is a huge part of good basketball.

All that said, I think the writer may have watched too many Ga Tech games the past four years. We averaged 1.3 ppm.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good find @RamblinRed

I know we've seen this too much the last several years -
"some teams run what's called "false motion" to milk the 35-second shot clock without legitimately looking to score. The concept can shorten games -- believed to be a helpful tactic if a team is less talented --".

AND This -
"coaches that are teaching, frankly, fouling, because they know the referees won't call it,"

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The 30 sec clock may increase possessions slightly, but I bet it doesn't increase scoring all that much. If they don't crack down on the physical defense being played, offenses will score poorly in 30 secs as they do in 35 secs.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think I take the most issue with Sonny being a basketball guy through and through (because he has helped sell out to $$$).

" This is the man, after all, who helped give birth to grassroots summer basketball, signed Michael Jordan to his first sneaker deal, and put shoe logos on college basketball coaches long before the practice became common."

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
RULES CHANGES

- Reducing shot clock to 30 secs
- Timeouts
- Reduced from 5 to 4, no more than 3 carry over to second half
- Team timeouts within 30 secs prior to media timeout will count as media timeout
- Reducing physicality
- More enforcement
- Moving restricted arc from 3 ft to 4 ft
- Eliminating coach-called live ball timeouts
- 10 second backcourt timer won't reset with a timeout
- Elimination of 5 sec closely guarded
- Allow pregame dunking

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
These rule changes can make a difference but it will be minimal. Until fundamentals such as bounce passing, post drop steps, mid range shooting come back, coupled with actually having to work on defense to earn a charge call scores will continue to be low and turnovers to be high.

Also, the way the NBA uses metrics now that basically chastise mid range shooting and rewards specialty 3 point shooters (our own Anthony Morrow) you are seeing that matriculate down to the CBB level. That being said, so many of these kids are so reliant on their athleticism in HS that they really cant shoot 3s all that well but still hoist a ton of them.

To sum up my thought here which in proof-reading appears to be quite jumbled, mid range is out, athleticism is in but flopping and bad positioning on defense is often rewarded and legit shooters are few and far between IMHO. I have no idea what the actual numbers are this is just what i have seen. Proper shooting technique combined with effective post entry and not rewarding flopping will result in more offense than a 30 second shot clock.

Also, lets actually enforce hand checking nationwide which will allow some of these phenom PGs we are seeing now, the ability to turn the corner and create.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
quick thoughts -

- Reducing shot clock to 30 secs - Not that big of a deal

- Timeouts
- Reduced from 5 to 4, no more than 3 carry over to second half - GREAT
- Team timeouts within 30 secs prior to media timeout will count as media timeout - Even better idea!
- Reducing physicality - Why not just enforce the rules?!?!?
- More enforcement - assume this is in regards to the physicality
- Moving restricted arc from 3 ft to 4 ft - an offense minded rule (like what the NFL has done over the years)
- Eliminating coach-called live ball timeouts - YES!!! Make the players have to THINK!!!
- 10 second backcourt timer won't reset with a timeout - it never should have reset (IMO)
- Elimination of 5 sec closely guarded - GOOD, that's been such a "questionably" enforced rule to the point of being ridiculous.

Not sure about the need for the "Allow pregame dunking". Guess it's designed to get fans in the seats before the game...

@McCamish Maniacs - thanks for the summary.
@Peacone36 - so very right regarding the "lost art" of mid-range shooting.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RULES CHANGES

- Reducing shot clock to 30 secs
- Timeouts
- Reduced from 5 to 4, no more than 3 carry over to second half
- Team timeouts within 30 secs prior to media timeout will count as media timeout
- Reducing physicality
- More enforcement
- Moving restricted arc from 3 ft to 4 ft
- Eliminating coach-called live ball timeouts
- 10 second backcourt timer won't reset with a timeout
- Elimination of 5 sec closely guarded
- Allow pregame dunking

How about no time outs in the last 2 minutes of a half? I don't watch basketball, but when I do, it's the last 20 minutes real time and 2 minutes clock time.

I like anything that speeds up the game and has the players play more. Kind of like I like no radio communication in cycling. Make the players play the game.