Starting up the Black Watch D part 2?

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ted Roof was a member of "the Black Watch" Defense at GT. I think it would be great to see him start it back up. Could be a good recruiting tool and a way to connect with good times past. What say you guys? Any chance this could happen?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jacket Bracket said:
Ted Roof was a member of "the Black Watch" Defense at GT. I think it would be great to see him start it back up. Could be a good recruiting tool and a way to connect with good times past. What say you guys? Any chance this could happen?

I like how you think, but this current group needs to show it (i.e. anything) on the field before we can compare them to the original Black Watch.

Here's hoping they get it done this year. I'm actually cautiously optimistic.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think a name like that has to be earned. I like the idea because that was a hell of a group, but at the same time we need to remember some of the other nicknames that haven't worked out. The most recent was the Goon Squad. I believe that was the O-line 2 years ago, remember how good they were? Neither do I. You also have to be careful recruiting kids to be the next whatever in this "me first" culture that recruiting has created. It would be a lot better if our defense was Black Watch-esque this year and then recruit kids to come be a part of it.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone with a better memory than me help me out here. I don't think the whole defense was know as the black watch....I think if an individual EARNED it, then other black watch members voted you in. So, you may have 5-6 players on defense in the black watch while others were attempting to EARN their way in. Is that how ya'll remember it?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Jacket Bracket said:
Someone with a better memory than me help me out here. I don't think the whole defense was know as the black watch....I think if an individual EARNED it, then other black watch members voted you in. So, you may have 5-6 players on defense in the black watch while others were attempting to EARN their way in. Is that how ya'll remember it?

This. And the NCAA outlawed differentiated helmet designs so no black logo like in the good ol' days.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
You could put a patch on the jersy or something though. I like the idea.. Only if we actually play defense though, and not that pathetic **** we've been playing the last two years

ramblinwreck40

Georgia Tech Fan
Your on the right track though....Urban Meyer does the same type mentality....challenges players to earn "status" on the team. Awards them in practice. Being HERE just shouldn't cut it anymore. Man up or go home. If you play Tech, you should know that your gonna get hit....hard.