Film Room Spring Game Slow Motion Part 2

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the gold "triple" at 12:30 and the white play where the Bback didn't really mesh were Belly options (a QB pitch double option).

I think the play where Shamire was pulling was a trap. He was supposed to block the tackle out to open a crease on the inside. I really fear he plays with his eyes closed at times.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is helpful to take a more in depth look at what is really happening on each play. It looks like the motion where the back stops and then goes the other way takes the momentum out of the pitch play and disrupts the spacing between the QB and that man as a potential pitch receiver. It also looks like we are continually out manned at the point of attack in what ever direction we go, left or right. It's hard to block when you do not enough blockers to account for each potential tackler. It seems that we would have to run the plays with a lot more quickness and decisiveness in order to make this work. I think that is problem that if not addressed will be the achilles heel of this team in 2016.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is helpful to take a more in depth look at what is really happening on each play. It looks like the motion where the back stops and then goes the other way takes the momentum out of the pitch play and disrupts the spacing between the QB and that man as a potential pitch receiver. It also looks like we are continually out manned at the point of attack in what ever direction we go, left or right. It's hard to block when you do not enough blockers to account for each potential tackler. It seems that we would have to run the plays with a lot more quickness and decisiveness in order to make this work. I think that is problem that if not addressed will be the achilles heel of this team in 2016.

Go Jackets!
a) our defense read that play like they knew it was coming. You have to realize they know us because they are us.
b) this play is designed to take advantage of linebackers cheating on motion. If they're not cheating, there's no advantage, only the disadvantage you point out.
c) the Aback on this particular play does a poor job, imo, of disguising the direction of the play. He doesn't go hard at the start, he jogs over which probably told the D he was gonna twirl.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Gold:

1) The first play is a triple option, I believe.

The playside offensive tackle DOES block the defensive end, contra what normally happens, but that's because the end cross his face and is no longer "head up or outside" (the rule for leaving the end-man-on-LOS unblocked).

What that leaves is that the outside linebacker as the give/keep read. And, given his alignment, its usually going to be a give in that scenario. With that, the playside safety becomes the keep/pitch read.

The non-motion AB is supposed to move to the MLB up to the safety.

I could be wrong. It could be a basic BB-blast with an AB lead block. However, it looks more like a triple to me.

2) Second play looks like a busted midline. The MLB stunts to the B gap, and the DT takes a step down and covers the A gap. Not sure why we'd run midline against that front though. Marshall's odyssey to the outside occurs because the B gap (where he's supposed to run on the pull), is stuffed by the MLB.

3) Totally right that the A-Back should have been thrown the ball on the third play. Marshall just decided pre-snap he was throwing the slant, no matter what.

White:

1) First play is a counter option. The pulling guard is supposed to "log" the playside defensive end - that is, get all the way to his outside and then seal him in. It's supposed to be a lot easier than it turned out to be, as you normally expect that end to bite on the fake to the BB to the other side. The end in this case did a good job of recognizing the play and not getting sealed down. That means that the QB has nowhere to go. You're right that the option guy is supposed to be the OLB, who blitzed.

2) is that dang backside backer running us down on the triple again. Big problem for us last year. Good on pointing out the pinch by the end; it kept the tackle from getting to the middle backer.

3) Tough throw there. Smelter could have caught it as it was thrown, but I think you need to loft it a little more for anyone else.

Gold:

1) That's how the counter option is supposed to be blocked - backside pulling guard logs the defensive end. Good decision by Jordan, though I think he looped the path out a little too much.

2) Yep, triple with a hard pinch. Good job by the AB who manages to "load" the backer. No one was able to climb to the safety, who wound up taking a bad angle.

3) Switch route on a playaction that no one bit on. Jordan threw to the right guy, but the defense was ready for the pass.

4) Counter option. I agree - I think that should be a pitch. But Jordan didn't help the pitch relationship by bending out so much, again.

5) I wish Jordan would have thrown it quicker to the crossing AB.

White:

1) good analysis of the whole thing. That MLB took himself out the play

2) Too clogged up. No way for Shamire to get around on the counter.

3) I think that's the play I used to call "Cowboy" - BB is just getting a fake, and he's trying to get outside the DE, to block him down. Tackle pinched and can't get to the LB. Double option off the outside backer/nickle.

4) No clue if Stewart is supposed to be coming back or if JT is supposed to put some more air under it.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
3) I think that's the play I used to call "Cowboy" - BB is just getting a fake, and he's trying to get outside the DE, to block him down. Tackle pinched and can't get to the LB. Double option off the outside backer/nickle.

Like the old Nebraska load option.