Sport and the internet

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just ran across this:

Wiorth reading for everyone here (the mods will be shaking their heads in agreement from the first sentence). And, yes, I also become a raving lunatic when Tech loses a close game. Especially if it's against Ugag.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Okay, that's a good read and so, so true on many levels. Just to steal a sentence to tease others:

"Fandom, fundamentally, isn’t about happiness; indeed it would be more accurate to say it is about unhappiness – specifically, the kind of communal unhappiness of people who choose to be unhappy together, rather than to suffer alone."

:ROFLMAO:

Or this gem: "Tribalism and schadenfreude are the characteristic mental states of our time; both these things make otherwise intelligent people stupid, and stupid people even stupider."

I resemble that remark!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Of course, after I looked at the site itself I am forced to question the capabilities of the author to provide a reasonably balanced view of anything. Still funny, but some stupid parts to the article too (like saying that in a 2012 study people who were inebriated expressed more conservative pov's, then it follows that conservative pov's are necessarily less intelligent. Huh? What about that inebriation reduces inhibition more than it reduces reasoning, and that less-inhibited people are more likely to tell you what they really freaking believe?)

Anyway, off topic other than to say read the article with the understanding that it is laced with a certain point of view that is inextricably linked to the premise, or maybe visa-versa.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Of course, after I looked at the site itself I am forced to question the capabilities of the author to provide a reasonably balanced view of anything. Still funny, but some stupid parts to the article too (like saying that in a 2012 study people who were inebriated expressed more conservative pov's, then it follows that conservative pov's are necessarily less intelligent. Huh? What about that inebriation reduces inhibition more than it reduces reasoning, and that less-inhibited people are more likely to tell you what they really freaking believe?)

Anyway, off topic other than to say read the article with the understanding that it is laced with a certain point of view that is inextricably linked to the premise, or maybe visa-versa.
Look again. This isn't what Scott said. What the study found is that drunks (God knoweth) tend to revert to simple thought process and those lead to more conservative opinions. Actually, there's a ton of data that support this. It doesn't mean that all conservatives think simply, however; what it is saying is that people who put little effort into thinking tend to express conservative opinions. Here's the actual study:

They recruited political centrists with low ideological commitments then subjected them to four different conditions involving inebriation, stress, time pressures, and direct instruction to think more simply or complexly. In each instance, the higher the level of condition, the higher the level of expression of conservative opinions. And, as the authors point out, that fits what we already knew pretty well.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Look again. This isn't what Scott said. What the study found is that drunks (God knoweth) tend to revert to simple thought process and those lead to more conservative opinions. Actually, there's a ton of data that support this. It doesn't mean that all conservatives think simply, however; what it is saying is that people who put little effort into thinking tend to express conservative opinions. Here's the actual study:

They recruited political centrists with low ideological commitments then subjected them to four different conditions involving inebriation, stress, time pressures, and direct instruction to think more simply or complexly. In each instance, the higher the level of condition, the higher the level of expression of conservative opinions. And, as the authors point out, that fits what we already knew pretty well.

I knew there was a reason I prefer beer to water!