Should SA's who complete 4 years at 1 school be granted an additional year

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a really interesting question.

I do like this idea, especially sort of the option B of they get the extra year only if they stayed at 1 school for 4 years and graduated. There is not likely to be a ton of players who would end up being eligible, but it is sort of a nice potential reward for those that do take the academics seriously.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No, reason being that they have their degree, and should not be given a full year, in essence, the opportunity to have five full years. Yes I know the covid BS has given some players 5 years.

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The only way I would agree is that they have to have received their degree within the 4 years to qualify for the 5th year and that 5th year has to be at the same school. My question would be what happens if a player redshirts a year? Are they proposing that player gets the normal 5 years with 4 years of eligibility and then gets another year on top of that if he got his degree in 4 years thus allowing the player 6 years at the school? What then happens if they get injured one of those years and gets another year of eligibility so he ends up at the school for 7 years? That's a lot of scholarship money for some schools to absorb.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
The only way I would agree is that they have to have received their degree within the 4 years to qualify for the 5th year and that 5th year has to be at the same school. My question would be what happens if a player redshirts a year? Are they proposing that player gets the normal 5 years with 4 years of eligibility and then gets another year on top of that if he got his degree in 4 years thus allowing the player 6 years at the school? What then happens if they get injured one of those years and gets another year of eligibility so he ends up at the school for 7 years? That's a lot of scholarship money for some schools to absorb.
I don't think this changes the total number of scholorships allowed each year. Therefore, it does not add cost. I wonder what a student is supposed to do if the undergraduate degree has already been earned, get half of a masters degree?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this changes the total number of scholorships allowed each year. Therefore, it does not add cost. I wonder what a student is supposed to do if the undergraduate degree has already been earned, get half of a masters degree?
Happens a lot where an athlete has already gotten his/her degree and still has eligibility. Can use the scholarship to go as far as they can towards a graduate degree if they can get in to that program (not a given) or they can go for another undergraduate degree or minor.