Serious Question - BG's buyout

Would you contribute to a crowdsourced donation towards Brian Gregory's buyout?

• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've been thinking about this for a while. The reality is whether MBob comes up with the funds or not, our hoops program is behind the financial 8-ball.

So the question I pose to all of you is would you contribute to a crowdsourced donation campaign to go towards the following:
  1. Brian Gregory's buyout
  2. To the extent there are funds remaining or Gregory's buyout is handled through larger donations, the general betterment of Georgia Tech basketball and ONLY Georgia Tech basketball
  3. To the extent there are funds remaining, Paul Hewitt's remaining buyout
I think there's a general feeling of helplessness among the broader fan base that there's nothing we can do, when the reality is that the GTAA & A/T Fund will accept every dollar we're willing to put together.

I know this is going to sound kind of Communist, but as a group, putting forth financial assistance, our voice can be heard and our support tangible.

I realize many will have the opinion that this is throwing good money after bad and I certainly can't blame you. The fact remains, we've got all of the components in place for this to be a very good, if not great, program, if given the resources.

There's a poll attached to this thread. If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to contact the A/T Fund to determine if this is a viable option and how we go about setting it up correctly. Whether it's a yes or no vote, please consider voting.

Thanks for your consideration.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I voted No because I'm young and broke. But IF I had extra money to throw away then I'd most definitely consider as long as enough people got behind it and were willing to help out too.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I voted No because I'm young and broke. But IF I had extra money to throw away then I'd most definitely consider as long as enough people got behind it and were willing to help out too.
You bring up a great point that I left out. Via a crowdsourcing campaign, such as I'm contemplating, it doesn't matter if you donate $1, $10, $100, $1,000,000... the point is to stand up & be counted first and show that you're willing to financially support the team at some level second. By putting your money where your mouth is, at any level, it shows that you're serious.

That said, I agree that if it's not feasible at this time for a person, this is certainly not the thing to put leading resources towards.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IIuc, you could really only start such a campaign after CBG was fired since you can't ask people to contribute to something over which you have no control. After CBG is fired, then people could just contribute directly to GTAA rather than through crowd-sourcing service.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No. I'm not giving money to a group that I have no confidence in making good decisions. Same reason I refuse to buy basketball tickets. Of course, I also can't afford to but that's besides the point.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been thinking about this for a while. The reality is whether MBob comes up with the funds or not, our hoops program is behind the financial 8-ball.

So the question I pose to all of you is would you contribute to a crowdsourced donation campaign to go towards the following:
  1. Brian Gregory's buyout
  2. To the extent there are funds remaining or Gregory's buyout is handled through larger donations, the general betterment of Georgia Tech basketball and ONLY Georgia Tech basketball
  3. To the extent there are funds remaining, Paul Hewitt's remaining buyout
I think there's a general feeling of helplessness among the broader fan base that there's nothing we can do, when the reality is that the GTAA & A/T Fund will accept every dollar we're willing to put together.

I know this is going to sound kind of Communist, but as a group, putting forth financial assistance, our voice can be heard and our support tangible.

I realize many will have the opinion that this is throwing good money after bad and I certainly can't blame you. The fact remains, we've got all of the components in place for this to be a very good, if not great, program, if given the resources.

There's a poll attached to this thread. If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to contact the A/T Fund to determine if this is a viable option and how we go about setting it up correctly. Whether it's a yes or no vote, please consider voting.

Thanks for your consideration.

The money would be better served to develop majors that athletes like that fit our mission.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to make an unpopular (or popular depending on POV) analogy here: All these contract buyouts that GT is going through, and asking donors/fans for help getting the administration out of a jam they created is starting to remind me of the financial crises and the bank bailouts of 2008.

At some point it starts getting old, and the adminstration can't continue to keep asking the fans (the public) to bail them out of bad decisions. We've got some REALLY generous donors (Think McCamish, and Brock Indoor facilities), and some really successful Alumni that care about the program and probably won't bat an eye if the administration comes knocking with the hat turned upside down. You got to think even those guys have a hard time swallowing an almost eight figure buyout for 2 coaches.

Would I donate something if it meant getting the bball program closer to where it deserves to be? Probably, and it's because 1. a GT degree has opened doors and given me opportunities that I wouldn't have had I went to some other schools. 2. I want to see my school do well.

Will I give them a lot of money? Probably not as much as I would have the first time...they just haven't proven that they're diligent in their decisions.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not really a serious question, as Indiana just tried the same thing and the school asked that it be shut down and it was. It is way too embarrassing for a school to deal with a real crowd funding buyout than it is worth the $$. AE 87 is correct, this could only be done after the firing. You can't recruit and have a crowd funding website up.

But, what is Bobinski's buyout? Maybe we could start one for him. I am so disappointed in that new CBG buyout prior to the season. From the outside it looks like any of us could be doing a better job negotiating contracts. On a national stage, GTAA looks like Keystone Cops. Major embarrassment- while uga and State are in the dance.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would give money to the site. Not a ton as I have too many medical bills to deal with, but I would do it just to shame GT and its administration.
If you set it up i'll be one of your first contributors.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been busy this afternoon, as well as depressed with the current state of things.

Given some concerns raised, what if we raised the funds for the sole purpose of supporting the basketball program specifically, while reducing the granularity for action taken? There are plenty of monetary needs of the hoops program and money is fungible.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Why not set it up only for the third use, buying down Hewitt's buyout? Then you don't have the problem of waiting until the BG is fired. That buyout is handcuffing GT as much as BG's current buyout.