SEC West

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
OK, so now the SEC West is 2-5 in bowls. Let's go ahead and pencil in three of them for the 2015 playoffs. After all, they are the power conference.

I have never liked the bowl games as a measure of conference strength, as teams use the time between the end of regular season and the bowls differently. Final exams can be a very disruptive force at some schools' athletic departments. Also, the break in rhythm affects teams unequally.

But, I think the SEC West teams truly thought they were the best, so perhaps did not have the internal drive to work hard and stay focused during the break. Clearly Ohio State and Georgia Tech did not take anything for granted.

Maybe, as CPJ said, we will not hear much about the SEC for a week or two.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, as CPJ said, we will not hear much about the SEC for a week or two.

Don't count on it. The mantra I am already hearing on ESECPN is that the rest of the country is "beginning to catch up to the SEC". Um, 2-5 loss to me like they have passed the SEC, at least for this year. The Pac 12 is clearly the best football conference this year, and Paul Finebaum can eat my shorts!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The final top 25 will be released soon. It will be interesting to see how the polls treat these bowl games in the final rankings. I doubt Bama will drop more than a few spots. FSU will likely take a big hit, which will not help us or uga.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
They just don't make toughest divisions in the history of college football like they used to. When the preseasons rankings come out, though, the SEC will still have 8 in the top 25 and at least 3 in the top 10. Just like UNC and da U are always picked to win the coastal.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
A buddy of mine posted this on FB last night:

"I said it when the playoff was approved, the SEC is in for a dry spell on National Championships now that the teams can play for it and not have it decided by pollsters."

Oh, how I hope he's right.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
From EDSBS

Jx8y4xu.png