Rutgers Situation(s)?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Something's in the water at Rutgers and it stinks worse than the New Jersey sewage.

The coach has been suspended stemming from inappropriate contact with faculty regarding a player's academic status. Translation: He was trying to get a guy eligible.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rlet-knights-suspend-coach-kyle-flood-3-games
After emailing the faculty member from his personal account, Flood was told by a member of Rutgers' academic advising staff not to contact professors about student-athletes, but he still went ahead with the in-person meeting. According to Rutgers' full investigative report, "Flood stated he may have told the advisor that he used his [personal email] account to avoid an [Open Public Records Act] request."

Flood and Barnwell both admitted that Flood also made minor changes to a paper that Barnwell submitted to the professor, who had agreed to review it as "partial satisfaction for the requirements of a course the student had already completed."

So the guy purposefully used a side email account because he knew it was against the rules yet later claims to not know what he was doing was wrong? Then he personally changed the kid's paper and they only fined him and suspended him 3 games?

Not to mention that the player in question, Nadir Barnwell, was ultimately kicked off the team anyway stemming from an assault arrest. Which leads me to the next issue.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...harged-in-home-invasion-dismissed-immediately

On top of the coach's mess, Rutgers has had 7 players arrested in the last few weeks. 2 were arrested for an alleged home invasion. In connection with that incident, 4 others (including Barnwell) were arrested for assault. I find it odd that the 4 weren't charged with greater crimes since this is all suspected to be part of a larger crime organization but we'll see what the future holds.

Finally, last week, they had a starting receiver charged in a domestic violence incident.

I bet the B1G is just thrilled with their new member.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe the coach was under outside pressure?

What, like "get me eligible or else ..." type-a thing? What would be the point in keeping it quiet now though? Too high profile for any local thugs to get at him at this point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What, like "get me eligible or else ..." type-a thing? What would be the point in keeping it quiet now though? Too high profile for any local thugs to get at him at this point.

I don't know. Whenever there's reference to "larger crime organization" in New Jersey, it raises the possibility of external pressures, which may or may not be on the coach directly.