Rush D

thwgjacket

Is our D better against the rush than the numbers show? I was looking at some old box scores and realized we only gave up 3.8 ypc against a Tulane team that ran all over Duke and then gave up 3.8 ypc against VT who has struggled running the ball this year. Are we good at stopping the run against "traditional offenses"? I'm interested to see how we do against Miami and Duke Johnson who may (Connors) be the 2nd best back we see all year. Best is obviously Gurley.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If a team with a good offensive line lines up under center and hands it off to a RB right up the middle they’ll pick up 5-6 yards every play. Luckily most teams try to run out of the shotgun these days which allows our LB’s to have time to make the play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Giving up 3.8 ypc is not that good. It's currently 59th in FBS (unadjusted for opponent strength). In all 4 games, we are #114 at 5.43 ypc allowed.

So, while we may be better than #114, there's little objective measure of our D that shows us being any good at all. Perhaps, interceptions, we have 6 in 4 games. However, we are also #94 in yds/att pass defense, allowing 7.6 ypa, and #71 in comp% defense.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was actually impressed with our run D against VT and Tulane. The two option teams tilted it against their favor a little bit.

The announcers said several times that "VT is still unable to get anything going on the ground" or STTE. I agreed. Run D was stout....Pass D...not so much.