RPI Replacement?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can mitigate the obvious issues with RPI & find a better way... I am all for it!

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts, but I don't think I like their proxy for starting pitcher strength. Day of the Week? If you can make all of the other calculations that go into the formula, can't you somehow make the pitching matchup calculation based on the actual starting pitchers? Maybe compare a team's Pythagorean in totality to the same team's Pythagorean when that pitcher starts the game? Just seems like they go to a lot of trouble to get Win Quality and Expected Win correct and then just mail it in when they got to starting pitcher quality.

Also, I would be interested in seeing these rankings on Selection Monday instead of showing where things stood after the CWS. As I mentioned about SoS in another thread on this board, SoS will be greatly enhanced for teams that go far and actually make it to Omaha simply because by definition you made it that far by playing games against tough competition. I think, in the same way, teams that go far, including making it to Omaha, will by definition continue to accumulate point while teams that get eliminated don't continue to accumulate points.

Last edited: