Roughing the kicker

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did I miss something or did the unc guy that went for block hit the ball before he hit the punter?

(I do know that our kicker did not flop in agony like the unc field goal guy did later when 6 was called for walking into him after kick .)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 48

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering the same thing. Is there a rule that invalidates rough if the ball hits the ground or if he becomes a runner by moving outside the normal punter movements?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think the fact he moved over mad ehim lose his protection though he was clearly in the act of kicking. I can make this hit into a gif later tonight (after work and the gym) to look at.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for info
So ref must judge if a kicker moves too much, then anything goes .
(I suggest the ref be required to raise hand the instant he sees the punter is live like on 3point shot - so as to make the call less able to be questioned later.)

So as I nov understand for qb there is no judgement allowed about incidental helment to helment or qb moved into tackler causing helment to helment touching no judgement is allowed.

Sucks to be a punter.
Wow how times have changed. Old Kim king would stand in pocket and get creamed, then get up and punt.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm NCAA says.................

The NCAA Rule book addressed roughing and running into the kicker under Rule 9 Section 1 ARTICLE 3. a.and provides:
When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 5-2-2-I and A.R. 9-1-3-I[Approved Ruling 9-1-3 I. A1 plans to punt from behind his line of scrimmage but misses the ball, after which he is contacted by B1. RULING: Team A fumble. There is no kicker until the ball is actually kicked, and B1 therefore is not guilty of roughing the kicker.], III [III. A1, from a nonscrimmage kick formation, makes a quick, unexpected kick so suddenly that B1 cannot avoid contact. RULING: This is not roughing or running into the kicker since the rule applies only when it is reasonably obvious that a kick will be made.] and VI[VI. Kicker A1, in a scrimmage kick formation, moves laterally two or three steps to recover a faulty snap, or recovers a snap that went over his head and then kicks the ball. He is contacted by B2 in an unsuccessful attempt to block the kick. RULING: A1 does not automatically lose his protection in either case. A1 is entitled to protection as in any other kicking situation. When it becomes obvious that A1 intends to kick (in a normal punting position),
defensive players must avoid him.]).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hmmm NCAA says.................

The NCAA Rule book addressed roughing and running into the kicker under Rule 9 Section 1 ARTICLE 3. a.and provides:
When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 5-2-2-I and A.R. 9-1-3-I[Approved Ruling 9-1-3 I. A1 plans to punt from behind his line of scrimmage but misses the ball, after which he is contacted by B1. RULING: Team A fumble. There is no kicker until the ball is actually kicked, and B1 therefore is not guilty of roughing the kicker.], III [III. A1, from a nonscrimmage kick formation, makes a quick, unexpected kick so suddenly that B1 cannot avoid contact. RULING: This is not roughing or running into the kicker since the rule applies only when it is reasonably obvious that a kick will be made.] and VI[VI. Kicker A1, in a scrimmage kick formation, moves laterally two or three steps to recover a faulty snap, or recovers a snap that went over his head and then kicks the ball. He is contacted by B2 in an unsuccessful attempt to block the kick. RULING: A1 does not automatically lose his protection in either case. A1 is entitled to protection as in any other kicking situation. When it becomes obvious that A1 intends to kick (in a normal punting position),
defensive players must avoid him.]).

... so another GT gets hosed by the refs... not that we'd score if the drive continued, etc. but we'll never know.