RIP Giles Smith FB Letterwinner 1964-1966 (OBIT Link)

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
LINK

For those who remember the Lenny Snow (#41)-Giles Smith(#42)-Jimmy Brown(#43) three headed TB of the end Coach Dodd's era, Giles was a reliable RB from Valdosta. His last year he switched over to Bud Carson's 4-4-3 (Split 6) "Tech" Defense as one of the original Stingers or Wreckers (can't remember whether he played the strong or weak side) on Dodd's last Orange Bowl team.

YeOldeDeepSnap knew Giles as Jack Thompson's cigar-chewing, wise-cracking co-worker in the then fledgling FB recuiting office. Liked golf almost as much as he did football.

RIP, Giles

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
LINK

For those who remember the Lenny Snow (#41)-Giles Smith(#42)-Jimmy Brown(#43) three headed TB of the end Coach Dodd's era, Giles was a reliable RB from Valdosta. His last year he switched over to Bud Carson's 4-4-3 (Split 6) "Tech" Defense as one of the original Stingers or Wreckers (can't remember whether he played the strong or weak side) on Dodd's last Orange Bowl team.

YeOldeDeepSnap knew Giles as Jack Thompson's cigar-chewing, wise-cracking co-worker in the then fledgling FB recuiting office. Liked golf almost as much as he did football.

RIP, Giles
He was a good guy. Thanks for the post.

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan
LINK

RIP, Giles
Remember it well

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
LINK

RIP, Giles
I had a friend in grad school - this was back in the Dark Ages - who was a trainer at Tech when Smith was there. He said Giles was a great guy, but that one of his favorite things to do was to go over to the Varsity on the weekends and pick fights. Then he would draw his knife …

People tend to think that the players Dodd recruited were like him in temperament. Some were. Some, however, were like Giles Smith: really good guys to pal around with, great football players, and meaner then a rattlesnake on the field. I loved to watch him play and I can attest to the mean side. Nobody ever hit harder at 175 lbs.

He'll be missed by everyone who knew him or ever saw him on the field.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I had a friend in grad school - this was back in the Dark Ages - who was a trainer at Tech when Smith was there. He said Giles was a great guy, but that one of his favorite things to do was to go over to the Varsity on the weekends and pick fights. Then he would draw his knife …

People tend to think that the players Dodd recruited were like him in temperament. Some were. Some, however, were like Giles Smith: really good guys to pal around with, great football players, and meaner then a rattlesnake on the field. I loved to watch him play and I can attest to the mean side. Nobody ever hit harder at 175 lbs.

He'll be missed by everyone who knew him or ever saw him on the field.
Just went back & checked the obit & they have fleshed it out.

Possible reason for the delay might be the CTE cited as being caused from Giles' numerous concussions. Takes a while to get the post mortem results..... sad to hear of this.... and some of my teammates from 50 years ago now fear they may have CTE.