RIP Aubbie HoF WR Terry Beasley (Links)

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Without a doubt the best, fastest WR GT ever played against in the Carson-Fulcher eras, including USC's Lynn Swann & Sam Dickinson, ND's Tom Gatewood, and the long list at Tennessee and UGag.

Pat Sullivan would throw the ball as far & high as he could & Beasley would go get it. Terry even made Jeff Ford look slow.

Possible suicide... he is reported to have had 19 concussions during his Auburn & abbreviated NFL career......

Just hope his brain was left intact for the CTE study group.

ESPN Link

AL.com Link

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll never forget the 1971 season (Pat‘s Heisman year,,) against Auburn at BDS.Initially, it looked like we had Auburn on the run,,,, then Beasley & Sullivan got cranked up & destroyed us??? Sullivan threw ”ropes” to Beasley,,,, Very impressive!!!
I still think Pat Sullivan was the best college quarterback that I ever personally witnessed… He actually looked pretty good in the pros, but didn’t get a fair chance, probably because he was considered too short,,,,

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Before much was known about the effects of the concussions and other head hits; Beasley was suspected of having a mental illness. It was later learned that the scar tissue on the brain was causing his erratic actions.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’ll never forget the 1971 season (Pat‘s Heisman year,,) against Auburn at BDS.Initially, it looked like we had Auburn on the run,,,, then Beasley & Sullivan got cranked up & destroyed us??? Sullivan threw ”ropes” to Beasley,,,, Very impressive!!!
I still think Pat Sullivan was the best college quarterback that I ever personally witnessed… He actually looked pretty good in the pros, but didn’t get a fair chance, probably because he was considered too short,,,,
Ah, yes: The Too Short Fallacy. You would think Russell Wilson put paid to that one, though you still see some teams we know that want the QBs 6'3" or better. Pat deserved better out of his pro career, but I think he missed Terry too much.

I remember Beasley very well and share the general opinion here that he was one of the fastest WRs I ever saw. The only one I've seen that comes close was Kelly Campbell and Kelly didn't run routes as well as Beasley. Watching him just all of a sudden turn on the jets on poor unsuspecting DBs was a lot of fun, unless you were watching him at Grant Field. I'm sorry to hear about his illness and death. It is always hard to hear about great talent going unrecognized and then forgotten. I'll always remember him.

Poodletop

Georgia Tech Fan
Very different back then regarding head injuries. If you got your bell rung they’d stick smelling salts under your nose and someone would ask you how many fingers they were holding up. The trainer we had was known to always hold up two fingers, so if you could remember that, back in the game you’d go. Crazy. 😳

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Does anyone remember us playing Auburn in a night game back then, perhaps in '71? I was selling programs that year and have a recollection of being there at night with Sullivan QB'ing.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
'71 was the usual 2PM start per the Press Guide.... must've been a few years later.
Maybe 1973? I know in 1975 we played a day game on an overcast day - the day the sun came out every time AU scored. We scored late on a long pass to Raible, but alas, the ubiquitous holding call. SMH.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Without a doubt the best, fastest WR GT ever played against in the Carson-Fulcher eras, including USC's Lynn Swann & Sam Dickinson, ND's Tom Gatewood, and the long list at Tennessee and UGag.

Pat Sullivan would throw the ball as far & high as he could & Beasley would go get it. Terry even made Jeff Ford look slow.

Possible suicide... he is reported to have had 19 concussions during his Auburn & abbreviated NFL career......

Just hope his brain was left intact for the CTE study group.

ESPN Link

AL.com Link
TB was known to be woefully depressed. I can't imagine. But as a kid, he and Pat Sullivan were icons. That's what you aspired to be in backyard ball. RIP.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe 1973? I know in 1975 we played a day game on an overcast day - the day the sun came out every time AU scored. We scored late on a long pass to Raible, but alas, the ubiquitous holding call. SMH.
I was at the 75 game. Definitely a day game. I thought the TD pass was called back for lineman downfield.
And wasn’t that the game where Eddie Lee got hurt?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I was at the 75 game. Definitely a day game. I thought the TD pass was called back for lineman downfield.
And wasn’t that the game where Eddie Lee got hurt?
ELI and Tony Head, both as I remember. It hurt the 1975 team badly.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
yep, I saw the game and came early to see warm-ups.There I was mesmerized by Sullivan and Beasley and how they coordinated.so well even in practice.TB would run and cut in a flash and PS would hit him with a bullet shot even on a roll-out run.
I thought then--we are big trouble..

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the ‘71 game at Grant Field as well. My memory is of the precision of the Sullivan to Beasley combo that day. Remember Sullivan throwing the ball before Beasley making his cut on an out pattern and the ball arriving right on time.
I’m sorry Terry suffered with depression and pray for his family over their loss.