Riley Gaines rips Angel Cabrera

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Riley Gaines is set to speak Tuesday morning at the Georgia General Assembly’s Special Committee on Protecting Women’s Sports, more than two years after she tied transgender swimmer Lia Thomas in the NCAA Championships held at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Gaines is expected to address Georgia Tech President Angel Cabrera. In prepared remarks obtained by Fox News Digital, Gaines questions why Cabrera didn’t protect Gaines or any of the other female swimmers who took part in the championships.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Riley Gaines is set to speak Tuesday morning at the Georgia General Assembly’s Special Committee on Protecting Women’s Sports, more than two years after she tied transgender swimmer Lia Thomas in the NCAA Championships held at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Gaines is expected to address Georgia Tech President Angel Cabrera. In prepared remarks obtained by Fox News Digital, Gaines questions why Cabrera didn’t protect Gaines or any of the other female swimmers who took part in the championships.

While I don’t disagree at all with the underlying premise, why is she addressing Cabrera? I’m assuming we were simply a host venue for the NCAA… we would not have any power to say who can or can not participate, right? It would be akin to hosting an NCAA basketball regional and prohibiting a team that won and advanced from competing at our venue… it couldn’t happen. It’s simply not our call. The complaint should be directed at the NCAA, no?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
While I don’t disagree at all with the underlying premise, why is she addressing Cabrera? I’m assuming we were simply a host venue for the NCAA… we would not have any power to say who can or can not participate, right? It would be akin to hosting an NCAA basketball regional and prohibiting a team that won and advanced from competing at our venue… it couldn’t happen. It’s simply not our call. The complaint should be directed at the NCAA, no?

Yeah, regardless where a person falls on the conversation, what TF is a random school president supposed to do?

Stupid way to garner support, if that's what she's trying to do. If it's attention she wants, again, weird way to go about it. Bad target.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
this is how i feel about it. i didnt read the article tho

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, regardless where a person falls on the conversation, what TF is a random school president supposed to do?

Stupid way to garner support, if that's what she's trying to do. If it's attention she wants, again, weird way to go about it. Bad target.
I get that when you’re fighting for a cause, you take every opportunity to gain exposure for the cause. That sometimes means you seize an opportunity to direct your complaint to an entity / audience that’s not an adversary or an offender.
I think that’s what’s happening here. There is an opportunity for a forum and seizing that opportunity demands that it be directed at an innocent third party. Since that innocent third party is an entity that I don’t want smeared, I hope (and I suspect will be the case) that the grievance is heard, acknowledged and simply addressed by reaffirming that we were merely a host institution and the participants / circumstances were beyond our control.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that when you’re fighting for a cause, you take every opportunity to gain exposure for the cause. That sometimes means you seize an opportunity to direct your complaint to an entity / audience that’s not an adversary or an offender.
I think that’s what’s happening here. There is an opportunity for a forum and seizing that opportunity demands that it be directed at an innocent third party. Since that innocent third party is an entity that I don’t want smeared, I hope (and I suspect will be the case) that the grievance is heard, acknowledged and simply addressed by reaffirming that we were merely a host institution and the participants / circumstances were beyond our control.
Reading the comments to that article, just about everyone there is calling for Cabrera to be fired.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Reading the comments to that article, just about everyone there is calling for Cabrera to be fired.

Can anyone explain what he supposedly did wrong? Are we missing something or is this just the usual 'overkill without facts' thing.

slugboy

Staff member
Can anyone explain what he supposedly did wrong? Are we missing something or is this just the usual 'overkill without facts' thing.
She’s farming for attention.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
He's being accused of not taking a stand against biologically-male athletes being allowed to compete as female athletes because that is how they identify. She is also saying that by allowing a biologically-male athlete to share a locker room with biologically-female athletes that he has allowed sexual harassment to occur. She can't even get the name of the university right.

Personally, I think he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Had he refused to allow the Championships to be held on GT's campus, that would have been a big political statement and he would be raked over the coals for not being inclusive. In the end, expect a sexual harassment lawsuit to be filed against Carbrera, the NCAA, and Georgia Tech for allowing a biologically-male athlete to be in the women's locker room.

This is politically driven and the discussion will probably forced to a different forum unless people that post are very careful about not expressing opinions that can be construed as political.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's being accused of not taking a stand against biologically-male athletes being allowed to compete as female athletes because that is how they identify. She is saying that by allowing a biologically-male athlete to share a locker room with biologically-female athletes that he has allowed sexual harassment to occur. She can't even get the name of the university right.

Personally, I think he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Had he refused to allow the Championships to be held on GT's campus, that would have been a big political statement and he would be raked over the coals for not being inclusive. In the end, expect a sexual harassment lawsuit to be filed against Carbrera, the NCAA, and Georgia Tech for allowing a biologically-male athlete to be in the women's locker room.

This is politically driven and the discussion will probably forced to a different forum unless people that post are very careful about not expressing opinions that can be construed as political.

Thanks for the rundown. IOW, whoever had held the championships would be the target here. Smh

As you said, there was no right answer for Cabrera here.

I dont necessarily disagree with her issue. I just don't think this is the way to change things.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I doubt that Cabrera offers a response, but if he does, I hope it begins with “first of all this is the Georgia Institute of Technology…”

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Of course it is the usual "overkill without facts” thing.
No doubt this is all politcal posturing (there’s a LOT of that going around these days), but there are facts….it is simply that she is shooting at someone who was indeed in a no-win situation.

It is sad that the culture wars invade all spaces these days far beyond the political spectrum, something that all sides share the fault for….

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Supposedly he could have stopped the guy from using the women’s locker room. He couldn’t stop him from competing but could using the locker room. Not sure how much of that is true but it’s what I got from reading the article and comments

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Seems this one is trending political. Might want to move it before it gets deleted if anyone wants to continue the conversation.
Actually, I think the comments by everyone have been factual, appropriate and pretty apolitical.
Someone could certainly arrive and derail it, but I don’t see any reason to preemptively move what has been a GT / Cabrera discussion thus far.