Retaining Talent & Roster Management

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems to me with the recent development of extreme roster volatility that talent retention may emerge as the single greatest key to high level winning in the game currently.

The post season disappointments of both Duke and Kentucky, programs that have cornered the market on 5* high school talent, has demonstrated the importance of maturity and experience in winning. The model of constantly reloading with elite level talent has to be drawn into question.

Duke recruiting over 5* Mark Mitchell is a good example of this questionable strategy in play. The Freshman is an elite talent but he will be a Freshman. Even if his stats are going to be superior to Mitchell's, will it more than compensate for Mitchell's experience and maturity?

The transfer portal has thrown coaches some major curveballs. The presence of the permissive transfer rules combined with NIL possibilities has resulted in tremendous opportunities to adjust roster talent on the fly. However, what is being seen is that players are more than wiling to repeatedly transfer from one year to the next. If they are willing to be a Free Agent after their Soph year, they may be equally willing to sample free agency after their Junior year. If it is easier to slide talent in, it is equally easy to have it slide out.

We've always known that talent wins. But we also have found out that experience wins and culture wins. In an era of extreme player mobility, the key to winning may turn out to be those coaches who can figure out a way to retain talent long enough to establish a culture and with players who have been in the system long enough to execute schemes of sufficient sophistication to give the opposition problems and to do that efficiently.

Will it come down to coaches identifying their core talent and allocating NIL resources efficiently to retain those core assets that would otherwise be pirated? Will it come down to getting players in early and fostering a sense of loyalty? Will it mean trying to find second tier talent that will hang long enough to be experienced players that can out-savvy more talented but less experienced players? What model will the new generation of elite coaches employ?

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me with the recent development of extreme roster volatility that talent retention may emerge as the single greatest key to high level winning in the game currently.

The post season disappointments of both Duke and Kentucky, programs that have cornered the market on 5* high school talent, has demonstrated the importance of maturity and experience in winning. The model of constantly reloading with elite level talent has to be drawn into question.

Duke recruiting over 5* Mark Mitchell is a good example of this questionable strategy in play. The Freshman is an elite talent but he will be a Freshman. Even if his stats are going to be superior to Mitchell's, will it more than compensate for Mitchell's experience and maturity?

The transfer portal has thrown coaches some major curveballs. The presence of the permissive transfer rules combined with NIL possibilities has resulted in tremendous opportunities to adjust roster talent on the fly. However, what is being seen is that players are more than wiling to repeatedly transfer from one year to the next. If they are willing to be a Free Agent after their Soph year, they may be equally willing to sample free agency after their Junior year. If it is easier to slide talent in, it is equally easy to have it slide out.

We've always known that talent wins. But we also have found out that experience wins and culture wins. In an era of extreme player mobility, the key to winning may turn out to be those coaches who can figure out a way to retain talent long enough to establish a culture and with players who have been in the system long enough to execute schemes of sufficient sophistication to give the opposition problems and to do that efficiently.

Will it come down to coaches identifying their core talent and allocating NIL resources efficiently to retain those core assets that would otherwise be pirated? Will it come down to getting players in early and fostering a sense of loyalty? Will it mean trying to find second tier talent that will hang long enough to be experienced players that can out-savvy more talented but less experienced players? What model will the new generation of elite coaches employ?
All of what you said in your last paragraph.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Haha. Roster continuity and building a program with basically a feeder program could be the key to success? I’ll take “obvious **** to those that were paying attention 36 months ago while jerkoffs like Jeff Goodman and his like killed CBB while running wild with “free the kids bull****” while forgetting the NCAA is inept, for 100,000” Alex

****ing hell.

YellowJacketsFan24

Georgia Tech Fan
Wonder what the rotation and starting lineup will look like next year. Someone is going to have to sacrifice minutes and starters from last year might get moved to the bench. Just off the top of my head the starting lineup could look like this

PG: George/McCullum
SG: Kelley
SF: Mustaf
PF: Ndongo
C: Doryan
6th: Reeves/McCullum/George
I think GT will play 3 guards next year

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Wonder what the rotation and starting lineup will look like next year. Someone is going to have to sacrifice minutes and starters from last year might get moved to the bench. Just off the top of my head the starting lineup could look like this

PG: George/McCullum
SG: Kelley
SF: Mustaf
PF: Ndongo
C: Doryan
6th: Reeves/McCullum/George
I think GT will play 3 guards next year
I assume you mean Terry not Kelly. I will be shocked if McCullum isn’t a starter. I expect Ndongo and Reeves to start as well.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Too early to speculate.
Sutton - need him to officially sign.
Kelly - Will he come back?
Terry - Don't rule him out as veteran starter
Another Big - I still think that’s the remaining priority. Currently, no experience with Onwuchekwa/Souare/Kirouac; we truly need a thicker Big from portal that has proven production.
Other wildcards? Think we’re a month-ish from better roster certainty.
Regardless, I think a couple starter spots will be interchangeable.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Like Kelly last year, even if he is just thinking about going to the NBA after next year, doing the NBA combine process this year will allow him to get feedback from NBA teams now to put him in a better position for then.
I would put his chances of going pro at above 50%. He has the physical size and ability to play at the pro level. He can refine any needed skills at the pro level more easily than in college. Hope he returns!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would put his chances of going pro at above 50%. He has the physical size and ability to play at the pro level. He can refine any needed skills at the pro level more easily than in college. Hope he returns!
I think (as was said) he is there to learn what he needs to work on for next year. His outside shooting isn’t up to NBA standards and that will keep him in college another year. CDS will likely find an adequate 5 so he can get Ndongo more time away from the rim.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think (as was said) he is there to learn what he needs to work on for next year. His outside shooting isn’t up to NBA standards and that will keep him in college another year. CDS will likely find an adequate 5 so he can get Ndongo more time away from the rim.
I hope that is the case. I don’t feel confident it is the case. Last year it seemed very unlikely would gonPro as there are dozens of 6’5” to 6’7” players around that are very good. The number drops for guys 6’9” and taller.