Reliving the Moment - You Know you did too

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Just another example of the class act that Mason is and the type of players we have on this team. If that doesn't make you proud to be a Tech fan, I can't help you.
They really are a team right now and have been all this year. I want an offense that takes it personally when they don't score more than the opponent and a D that takes it personally when they let a team score more than our offense. Whether the final score in a loss is 9-7 or 48-43. Let us fans squabble over which unit cost us the game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ stated the "right" way is to go a head and score and then blitz the heck out of the other team and go for either a quick stop or a quick score to get the ball back. This way your team is playing all out with no mixed messages.

I would have hugged CPJ if he told Smelter not to make a TD. I would rather go down swinging on offense than to risk them running out the clock while we are on defense. If we went 4 downs without a TD, I still would have known this was our best chance to win.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ stated the "right" way is to go a head and score and then blitz the heck out of the other team and go for either a quick stop or a quick score to get the ball back. This way your team is playing all out with no mixed messages.

I would have hugged CPJ if he told Smelter not to make a TD. I would rather go down swinging on offense than to risk them running out the clock while we are on defense. If we went 4 downs without a TD, I still would have known this was our best chance to win.
They had to do more than just run out the clock, they had to score. I still say it's better to play from ahead than behind no matter how much time is on the clock. I wish we had just marched methodically down the field, but you never refuse a gift score in the mouth.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dressedcheeseside knowing how the game played out, now that we are on the other side of the game... would you still choose the same loss or attempt to change history by asking Smelter to go down after the 1st down? I know this is a dumb question o_O

I think we had a bigger chance to win with our O leading ~70% of drives to a TD versus ~30% of drives that the team stopped a TD... I go with the bigger chance.

I also realize the benefits of your point of view of points on the board versus maybe points... you go with for sure points on the score board.

Shoot, I would have loved for sure points followed by all or nothing defense to get the ball back wither way.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside knowing how the game played out, now that we are on the other side of the game... would you still choose the same loss or attempt to change history by asking Smelter to go down after the 1st down? I know this is a dumb question o_O

I think we had a bigger chance to win with our O leading ~70% of drives to a TD versus ~30% of drives that the team stopped a TD... I go with the bigger chance.

I also realize the benefits of your point of view of points on the board versus maybe points... you go with for sure points on the score board.

Shoot, I would have loved for sure points followed by all or nothing defense to get the ball back wither way.
It's bigger than sure points vs maybe points. It's telling the defense you have no confidence in holding a lead. We didn't even need them to get us the ball back this time, we just needed them to not let UNC go through them like a hot knife through butter. Nobody refuses a score when LOSING. Nobody. It's sends all kinds of bad messages. Losing the trust of your team is bigger than the chance of losing any game, and that's all it was... a chance. It's not like our D has never made a stop in it's life.

What do you think about the middle ground solution: Blitz 7 every down and if they happen to score quick, so be it, we'd still get the ball back in plenty of time to score ourselves. There's a pretty good chance of forcing some bad throws.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's bigger than sure points vs maybe points. It's telling the defense you have no confidence in holding a lead. We didn't even need them to get us the ball back this time, we just needed them to not let UNC go through them like a hot knife through butter. Nobody refuses a score when LOSING. Nobody. It's sends all kinds of bad messages. Losing the trust of your team is bigger than the chance of losing any game, and that's all it was... a chance. It's not like our D has never made a stop in it's life.

nm

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

I think it is more reasonable to just not call a play that has a decent chance of being an explosion play than to instruct Smelter to only get the first down. However when you have to go 25 yards to get a first down already and you are losing the game the potential explosion play call makes a lot of sense.

I know UNC's defense stinks but imagine if when they screw up and a guy who could have run 75 yards for a TD deliberately goes out of bounds after the 1st down or takes a knee? Those UNC guys have some pride also. Tech would be telling both teams D that they really seriously stink and would be daring UNC to find a way to get a stop; which they might just have rallied together and done after suffering such a flagrant insult if Smelter did not actually take the TD.

I would love to be shown where a coach ever did something like we wish had happened (either don't take the sure TD when behind or intentionally give up a lead on defense) in exactly analogous circumstances. I would be surprised if it has happened but would love to read about it and what the coaches had to say.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
What do you think about the middle ground solution: Blitz 7 every down and if they happen to score quick, so be it, we'd still get the ball back in plenty of time to score ourselves. There's a pretty good chance of forcing some bad throws.
That's pretty much what CPJ said last night on the radio show. Sell out to get a stop and if you get burned at least you get the ball back.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
What gives? Why in the hell didn't he do it then???
I apologize for my cryptic remarks. I assume people know what I'm thinking sometimes, and in this case I assumed you guys listened to the show. My bad. A caller asked him if he wished Smelter had run out of bounds or gone down and he said we would all be really upset if he did that and we didn't score. Then he made the comment about what we probably should have done on D.