Recruiting Class of 2014

So when we talk about recruiting and its affects, I just spent some time going back to 2006 till now and looked at all the classes.
This class was ranked 47th and had 22 recruits.

You would like to redshirt guys and have them be your Senior leasers but from this class who is left?
Clinton Lynch a 2 star
Andrew Marshall a 3 star
Qua Searcy a 3 star
Jalen Johnson a 3 star
Tre Jackson a 3 star.

That is it.
How does this affect the current team?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
So when we talk about recruiting and its affects, I just spent some time going back to 2006 till now and looked at all the classes.
This class was ranked 47th and had 22 recruits.

You would like to redshirt guys and have them be your Senior leasers but from this class who is left?
Clinton Lynch a 2 star
Andrew Marshall a 3 star
Qua Searcy a 3 star
Jalen Johnson a 3 star
Tre Jackson a 3 star.

That is it.
How does this affect the current team?

Conviently leaving out:
The Graduates:

Austin Twins (2x3*)
Matthew Jordan was solid backup

Its also naive to not include the 2015 non-redshirt leaders. More play time = more respect
And 2015 seniors who we have the following leadership from.

Anree Saint amour (3*)
Victor Alexander (3*)
Will Bryan (3*)
Brant Mitchell (3*)
TQM (3*)
Brad Stewart (3*)
Brentavious Glanton (3*)
KCH (3*)
David Curry (3*)
Nathan Cotreel (3*)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of solid players on this team. We just don't seem to have the play makers like JT who made big plays when they were needed or Butker who made game changing field goals at clutch times or guys who make interceptions at key times. Maybe those are your 4 and 5 * guys that we are missing. I am still proud of our players and glad they chose my school to play for.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hate to mention this among a bunch of hard data guys but why does this team feel like it lacks team chemistry? Can we define what that is? Is it nebulous or does it relate to senior leadership? The 2014 team seemed to have a lot of leaders on the team, so many in fact that even when we lost key starters there were others to pick up the slack. Overall the team had that "chemistry" thing going, with everybody having a role, everyone doing their part.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Hate to mention this among a bunch of hard data guys but why does this team feel like it lacks team chemistry? Can we define what that is? Is it nebulous or does it relate to senior leadership? The 2014 team seemed to have a lot of leaders on the team, so many in fact that even when we lost key starters there were others to pick up the slack. Overall the team had that "chemistry" thing going, with everybody having a role, everyone doing their part.
Unless you're in the locker room, you're speculating on team chemistry or lack thereof.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Do you think some of last years problems stemmed from the fight between the Austins and Durham?
Idk, I think every program has that stuff. I’m more worried about a true leadership role being fielded. I’ve said it before but guys feed off leaders not just off the field but guys who ball out on the field.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This was posted by someone else.... But I agree with it....

I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Had a long conversation with a fellow GT fan about how we go to where we are now, and this was one of the primary topics.

Attrition is something impacts every program these days, but I started looking at the classes since 2014 (guys who would be redshirt seniors right now) and how many guys are NOT on the roster any more. It borders on staggering. Losing 4 OL out of the 2014 class directly contributed to issue we have up front when combined with injuries.

Not to say that all these guys would be starters, but just think about depth for special teams or two-deep (or ability to develop younger players without playing them).

*Note: some of the guys who I list as transfer may have been dismissed, but just going by memory.

AB Miles Autry – never enrolled
BB CJ Leggett – transfer
OL Jake Stickler – medical
OL Trey Klock – transfer
QB Matthew Jordan – medical
OL Gary Brown – quit
DL Michael Preddy – transfer
OL Jake Whitley – medical

WR Christian Philpott – transfer
DB AJ Gray – medical
BB Mikell Lands-Davis – transfer
DB Dorian Walker – transfer
WR Harland Howell – transfer
BB Marcus Marshall – transfer
DB Meiko Dotson – transfer
BB Quaide Weimerskirch – transfer
QB Jaylend Ratliffe – medical

DL Jordan Woods – transfer
LB Emanuel Bridges – transfer
BB Dedrick Mills – dismissed
QB Jay Jones – transfer

DL Cortez Alston – transfer
LB TD Roof – transfer

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I think roster depth kills is most on the scout team. During game weeks our starters are practicing against kids off a much lower caliber than our actual opponents. Teams with good depth are practicing against much higher caliber players and it shows on game day.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do you have access to stats showing who trasferred TO Tech over that same period?
Thanks for transfering Mr. de foor.
20180923_173725.jpg