Recapping the ACC's Bowl Season

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Best performance: Georgia Tech entered the Capital One Orange Bowl as the underdog, the way the Yellow Jackets had entered so many other contests this season.

Top highlight: Thomas won't be flying under the radar anymore after his performance in Miami. Among his 121 rushing yards and three touchdowns was this 32-yard score in the third quarter, helping extend the Jackets' lead to 15. What a juke.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/79107/recapping-the-accs-bowl-season

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
So fsu was 124th out of 125 in turnovers and did not give us a single one. Give us two fsu turnovers, and TCU was probably kicking Oregon last Thursday. Asshats played their best game of the season against us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea. When Karlos Williams was out I kept thinking maybe we had a good shot at getting 1 or 2 Dalvin Cook fumbles since it’s about guaranteed he fumbles every 10 to 15 touches. Nope.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
This video sickens me with how disgustingly awful Brent Musberger is as an announcer. One of the best plays of bowl season and he says nothing (talking about a father in law). He is worthless - almost as bad as Verne Lundquist who I'm convinced mows Sabans yard.
#brentmustretire #verneshouldeatbrentandbothretire

This video sickens me with how disgustingly awful Brent Musberger is as an announcer. One of the best plays of bowl season and he says nothing (talking about a father in law). He is worthless - almost as bad as Verne Lundquist who I'm convinced mows Sabans yard.
Easy man! He has a great voice for broadcasting. Until Ga.Tech can win at a high level for a number of years, don't expect much out of any announcer when it comes to promoting our team.

thwgjacket

He actually promoted the hell out of our team during the game and praised a lot of our guy's individually. The father-in-law reference was when he was talking about Corey Dennis and how he'll be coaching for Meyer next year. I think the run just caught him off guard. Right after that run is when he said, "They can't stop it folks." When we went up 14 early he said, "If you're in Mississippi you have reason to feel un-easy." Thought that was a cool line too.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He actually promoted the hell out of our team during the game and praised a lot of our guy's individually. The father-in-law reference was when he was talking about Corey Dennis and how he'll be coaching for Meyer next year. I think the run just caught him off guard. Right after that run is when he said, "They can't stop it folks." When we went up 14 early he said, "If you're in Mississippi you have reason to feel un-easy." Thought that was a cool line too.
This! He gave us a love fest that I have not seen since Al and Kim!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

Also just after the review of Synjyn's touchdown (with 11:54 left in the game) he stated as they went to commercial "an unstoppable attack is unleashed on the SEC". Loved that one! Ugag players were probably nodding in agreement.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
From Source Analytics:

"In '14 at the FBS level, winning the turnover battle gave your team a 75.2% chance of winning. Winning rushing margin gave you 79.4% chance of winning."

Looking at how our defense turned things around after the North Carolina game, especially in light of the fact that the strength-of-schedule was much more difficult the second half of the season, it helps understand why it was so important Ted Roof's change in philosophy was so important.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow

Brent and Verne both have old school skills which I appreciate. They're both probably declining a little bit but I find both a pleasure to listen to compared to the newer ESPN guys, who range from obnoxious to hideously awful.

Brent can say a lot with few words when he's on his game. I remember last year's championship when they were discussing how one of the Auburn OL was a blue-chip NFL prospect. B list cable announcers would have timidly talked him up in that "I'm unsure of myself" voice for 7 minutes, while the A list (Herbstreet etc) would have said something annoying and schmoozy, like "I had dinner with this young man's family on Monday night, and..."

Musberger just said, "He'll play on Sundays" and that's all you needed to know.

Also just after the review of Synjyn's touchdown (with 11:54 left in the game) he stated as they went to commercial "an unstoppable attack is unleashed on the SEC". Loved that one! Ugag players were probably nodding in agreement.
The sad thing is that if it had not been for those two ATROCIOUS officiating calls against us in Athens, we would have beat the mutts worse than we did the western dwags

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
We watched the tv rebroadcast of the Orange Bowl last night. Georgia Tech scored yet another touchdown, and they headed to a commercial break after the kick. So at the 12 minute mark in the 4th quarter, Brent Musberger gave us what I thought was his best line-- "An unstoppable force has been unleashed on the SEC."

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
From Source Analytics:

"In '14 at the FBS level, winning the turnover battle gave your team a 75.2% chance of winning. Winning rushing margin gave you 79.4% chance of winning."

Looking at how our defense turned things around after the North Carolina game, especially in light of the fact that the strength-of-schedule was much more difficult the second half of the season, it helps understand why it was so important Ted Roof's change in philosophy was so important.

These two stats are certainly correct, but the turnover one is probably a lot more predictive of final result and the rushing margin one is probably more a derivative of final result.

Teams who are in the lead are going to tend to run more while teams who are trailing are going to tend to pass more. However no one is going to arbitrarily try to turn the ball over more or less.

Every time I've seen someone do a basic analysis on what impacts winning records, turnover margin is always at the top. The tough part is that there is a LOT of luck that goes into TO margin (especially fumble recoveries) so it's hard to reliably say that Team X is going to take the ball away more than Team Y. The biggest way to have a predictable impact on turnovers, however, is a strong pass rush and a good OL to negate other teams strong pass rush.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
These two stats are certainly correct, but the turnover one is probably a lot more predictive of final result and the rushing margin one is probably more a derivative of final result.

Teams who are in the lead are going to tend to run more while teams who are trailing are going to tend to pass more. However no one is going to arbitrarily try to turn the ball over more or less.

Every time I've seen someone do a basic analysis on what impacts winning records, turnover margin is always at the top. The tough part is that there is a LOT of luck that goes into TO margin (especially fumble recoveries) so it's hard to reliably say that Team X is going to take the ball away more than Team Y. The biggest way to have a predictable impact on turnovers, however, is a strong pass rush and a good OL to negate other teams strong pass rush.

I would also like to soo one on the Time of Possession difference just for giggles.