Really good after practice report today

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Those days never existed, except in mythology.

Bear Bryant wasn't "trying out" 150 guys a year out of the goodness of his heart.
I think the point was the players then were not getting outfitted with multi-thousand dollar techno gear, there wasn't talk and lawsuits about everything under the sun, players "likeness" was being stolen from posters and pasted on TV commercials, etc. It seemed to be more about the game...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I'm all for hi-tech and all, but I doubt the data you would get from any such system would be worth the price.

You can determine the tendencies of players and teams by looking at films within a level of confidence that would make using all the extra gear at best a marginal addition. Indeed, I'd be surprised if the new gee-gaws are doing much at all for FSU except giving the grad assistants something to do.

Not, mind, that Tech couldn't use more money for the football program. I expect we'd have a better use for it if we got it, however.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the point was the players then were not getting outfitted with multi-thousand dollar techno gear, there wasn't talk and lawsuits about everything under the sun, players "likeness" was being stolen from posters and pasted on TV commercials, etc. It seemed to be more about the game...
EXACTLY! @B Lifsey

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, I'm all for hi-tech and all, but I doubt the data you would get from any such system would be worth the price.

You can determine the tendencies of players and teams by looking at films within a level of confidence that would make using all the extra gear at best a marginal addition. Indeed, I'd be surprised if the new gee-gaws are doing much at all for FSU except giving the grad assistants something to do.

Not, mind, that Tech couldn't use more money for the football program. I expect we'd have a better use for it if we got it, however.

I would think really good coaches and students of the game could! I'm sure there is always an edge to be had, but I agree with this - marginal at best. I guess if you have unlimited resources and a National Championship is on the line a lot, then maybe it's worth that marginal edge you can get from data.

The talent level of the athletes is amazing to the average person, but really good coaching at the college level is also an amazing skill that is developed from some natural instincts and a lot of hard work and years of study/experience - something that can't be replaced by some data.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Ken brought up FSU's use of a device that uses GPS to monitor individual performance metrics when players are training. We often wonder why GT is not on the cutting edge of technological innovation in our training. Just look at the cost and you can stop wondering:

Still, there were some immediate concerns. The GPS monitors aren't cheap. Florida State began with 30, which Catapult rented to the team for about $25,000 per year, according to the school's records. In the wake of the Seminoles' national title in January, the team has expanded its use to 95 monitors beginning this spring.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-use-gps-technology-win-national-championship
We don't sniff the football budget of FSU.

For me, it's just another reason to be proud of "who we are". We're not a factory with endless resources. We're a school with a football team that wins a good bit of the time in spite of that fact. We're like that guy in Monte Python who keeps fighting even though he's had both arms chopped off.

FSU can just get the GPS data from the local police department for their best players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was back at Tech doing some recruiting. One of the students mentioned a school class/project with plans on using activity tracking devices with the cross country team. There is no reason why we can't do it with the football team as well.

Coach seems kind of old school,
Hill is real interested orange bowl.
Can u imagine what the uga dominated BOR would do if gt used high tech to beat uga!