Ranking Our 2015 Class

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here’s my database for our players who committed or played after 2008. It’s three sheets I’ll put in a subsequent post.

My conclusion is that out of the last 8 classes, this one is tied with the 2010 class for highest quality. Also the Perfect Game ranking is a pretty good indicator of getting to the minor leagues. A few observations of why I say that:
  • This year’s draft was the first time we have kept two top 100 commits (English and Stallings). The only year that was better was 2010 where we kept Smelter, Hyde and Grimes. They are all studs.
  • Three of the eight years from 2008 to 2015, we had zero (0) top 100 players who actually came to GT.
  • All but one of the top 100 go to the MLB whether out of HS or drafted from GT. So it makes a lot of sense to come to GT on the way to the MLB. The one who didn’t? (Hint: WR in the NFL now)
  • This year we kept three to the four players in the 100 to 300 range – Bart, Gibson and Hall. Two were drafted. Only 2010 and 2011 were better for this range player.
  • For the 100 to 300 player, we’ve had 19 who have finished eligibility / left. 4 went to minors from HS, 2 as Jrs (Palka and Heddinger) and only one went as a Sr (Isaacs).
  • For the 300 to 500 ranked players, we’ve had 16 who have finished eligibility / left and 5 went to minors as Jrs and 2 as Srs.
  • For the >500 ranked players, we’ve had 15 who have finished eligibility and 3 went to minors as Jrs and one as a Sr.
Later I'll start a thread on 2016 pitching ..... pitching is looking better than last year if we have no unexpected attrition.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
5mtoliol8msbpkg6g.jpg

When CDH pulls the same MO with this group like he did with Mott's class and all the other stud classes before them, what excuse is going to be used for another disappointing season? Looks to me like another terrible rerun of full house.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Later I'll start a thread on 2016 pitching ..... pitching is looking better than last year if we have no unexpected attrition.

It couldn't get worse, could it?

Btw, the Hoos have surely shown how critical pitching is in the post-season...again. Heck, GT took two of three here (iirc). Since then UVa went 12-5 to finish the regular season, a pretty unimpressive 1-3 in the ACC Tournament, and then 8-1 (!!) in the NCAA's.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a quick take from Perfect Game on the recruiting class following the signing deadline for the MLB draft:

"Georgia Tech: Similar to a few of the clubs already mentioned, Georgia Tech's recruiting class includes a pair of notable PG All-Americans in righthander Tristin English and outfielder Brandt Stallings, both of whom could step in an serve meaningful roles in 2016. English has the projectability and stuff to be one of the club's weekend starters, while Stallings will likely pair up with Freshman All-American, and yet another former PG All-American, Kel Johnson to provide some considerable thump in the middle of their lineup. Catcher Joey Bar, shortstop Carter Hall and righthanders Keyton Gibson and Jonathan Hughes are also among the more notable players from the Yellow Jackets' prized 2015-16 recruiting class ranked fifth by Perfect Game."

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
From the RW website:
Oct. 1, 2015

THE FLATS - With fall practice underway and Opening Day just five months away, Georgia Tech Baseball's current freshman class has been ranked No. 4 nationally by both Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game.

It's the highest a Tech freshmen class has been ranked since the Yellow Jackets inked the nation's No. 1 classes in both 2002 and 1998. Collegiate Baseball has Tech's current class ranked fourth overall and tops in the ACC, while Perfect Game has Tech fourth nationally -- right behind fellow ACC foe North Carolina.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From the RW website:
Oct. 1, 2015

THE FLATS - With fall practice underway and Opening Day just five months away, Georgia Tech Baseball's current freshman class has been ranked No. 4 nationally by both Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game.

It's the highest a Tech freshmen class has been ranked since the Yellow Jackets inked the nation's No. 1 classes in both 2002 and 1998. Collegiate Baseball has Tech's current class ranked fourth overall and tops in the ACC, while Perfect Game has Tech fourth nationally -- right behind fellow ACC foe North Carolina.

And we didn't lose as much to the MLB as we thought. Entire article at http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/100115aaa.html

One really good thing about baseball is the number of games. You don't compress the season into 12 games spread a week apart. There is so much quicker, and more, chance for redemption.

What I'm thinking now is that we are going to be upper third of the ACC. As I've said before, I think hitting is more likely to be our weak part of the game after summer ball than any other part of the game (D or pitching). I think pitching should be fine about halfway through the season. (As long as injuries don't get us like seems typical.....)

We have a lot of cold weather till Beesball, and then in the month it ends Beesball starts up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was just looking for something else at Perfect Game and came across the 2015 class "re-ranking" for MLB signings ..... we now have the #3 class for 2015 after all the other teams are adjusted ..... Vandy & FL are #1 and 2. At bottom left of this page ....... http://www.perfectgame.org/college/default.aspx

Pretty good.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We desperately needed the pitching, and looks like we got it. I agree the hitting looks highly suspect, which implies lots of tight games where execution and defense will determine the outcome (in other words, nerve racking for this old fart). I miss the days when we seemed to have 3 bombers in the middle of our line-up year after year....but then I would complain about our pitching, so I guess I should shut up and smile!

Given how the rest of the year has gone for GT, I cannot wait until baseball starts!