PPDvP5 ND week

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For previous explanations of my calculated points per drive vs power 5 teams, search for PPDvP5 or PPDvPwr5. I calculate the rankings for Offensive PPD and Defensive PPD independently. I calculate Team Rankings by averaging the ranking based on OPPD - DPPD and the ranking of OPPD/DPPD.

Top 25 rankings for the week before we play Notre Dame are as follows (only includes teams who have played 3 or more P5 opponents):
1729121518691.png

Notre Dame's ranking has obviously been affected by their game against Purdue, but there is more to it. It should be noted that these stats do not include their loss to Northern Illinois which does not belong to a power 5 (4) conference. In their games against power 5 (4) opponents, they have the #3 offense (3.6 PPDvP5) and the #2 defense (1.06 PPDvP5 allowed).

Here are their game by game stats compared to their opposition's average performance against P5 teams.
1729121818381.png
1729124085881.png

In the games accounted for, their offense outperformed their opponents' average defense in every game, and their defense outperformed their opponents' average offense in every game.

Georgia Tech is #34, #19 offense (2.73 PPDvP5) and #52 defense (2.6 PPDvP5 allowed). These numbers interestingly seem to mirror our rankings under CPJ, suggesting that our defense is still practicing against the option (smh).

Here are our game by game stats compared to our opposition's average performance against P5 teams:
1729122968760.png
1729122820627.png

Obviously the LOLvl game jumps out with respect to our Offensive performance. IIUC, we might have been banged up in that game. Still, I think we sometimes give our D a break for this game because two of LOLvl's TD's were scored by their D and their Special Teams. However, they did also score 2 TD's and a FG in 6 drives against our D. It was a bad game. Our Defense has not been good, except against Duke who doesn't have a great Offense. By this statistic, Duke was our best game.