Potential 2016 Pitchers

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the players that we may see pitching for GT next year:
wzg7nc4hcz4txbz6g.jpg

Obviously, Gold, Ryan and King are expected to be the best three and will carry us.

Then who comes on?
  • Phillips had a rough ending.
  • Parr was getting better.....
  • Craport I really liked towards the end of the season.
  • Gorst faded.
  • Gooden has potential but faded too.
  • Patrick Wiseman?
  • Datoc I liked a lot.
  • Ben S - anyone know if he'll be better? I don't see him in summer ball .....
  • The rest of the returning players I just don't know about. I expect a bunch of these players won't be on the roster come next Spring.
For the new pitchers:
  • Tristin English is by far the highest ranked pitcher we have gotten since Smelter in 2010.
  • Keyton Gibson is ranked high too, higher than Jonathan Hughes .....
  • Gauvreau, Carpenter, Dulaney and Lee are all Top 500 and could develop. Probably not for a lot of innings this year.
But we have a lot of choices and better choices than last year.
Compare this to what we started this year with ..... injured players who never worked back. And our best pitcher who wasn't even a pitcher to start the year. Says a lot about Gold's talent .........

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are some updated summer stats for some of the pitchers.
Valley Baseball League--
Patrick Wiseman: 7 ip, 2 hits, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1.28 ERA, 1-0, 1 SV
Jarod Datoc: 7 ip, 6 hits, 2 R, (0 ER), 5 BB, 7 K, 0.00 ERA, 0-0

Coastal Plain League--
Daniel Gooden: 5 ip, 7 hits, 7 R (7 ER), 5 BB, 7 K, 12.60 ERA, 0-0
Matthew Phillips: 6 ip, 7 hits, 7 R (5 ER), 12 BB, 6 K, 7.50 ERA, 0-2

Sunbelt Baseball League--
Trevor Craport: 8.2 ip, 14 hits, 6 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 10 K, 6.23 ERA, 1-0

Cape Cod:
Zac Ryan: 11 ip, 10 hits, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 7 K, 2.45 ERA, 1-0
Jonathan King: 9.1 ip, 11 hits, 4 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 8 K, 2.89 ERA, 0-0
Ben Parr: 4.1 ip, 2 hits, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA, 0-0

East Cobb Yankees:
Cody Worthy: 22 ip, 11 hits, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 15 K, 0.00 ERA, 4-0
Keyton Gibson: 22 ip, 12 hits, 7 R (2 ER), 12 BB, 25 K, 0.64 ERA, 3-1

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are some updated summer stats for some of the pitchers.
Valley Baseball League--
Patrick Wiseman: 7 ip, 2 hits, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1.28 ERA, 1-0, 1 SV
Jarod Datoc: 7 ip, 6 hits, 2 R, (0 ER), 5 BB, 7 K, 0.00 ERA, 0-0

Coastal Plain League--
Daniel Gooden: 5 ip, 7 hits, 7 R (7 ER), 5 BB, 7 K, 12.60 ERA, 0-0
Matthew Phillips: 6 ip, 7 hits, 7 R (5 ER), 12 BB, 6 K, 7.50 ERA, 0-2

Sunbelt Baseball League--
Trevor Craport: 8.2 ip, 14 hits, 6 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 10 K, 6.23 ERA, 1-0

Cape Cod:
Zac Ryan: 11 ip, 10 hits, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 7 K, 2.45 ERA, 1-0
Jonathan King: 9.1 ip, 11 hits, 4 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 8 K, 2.89 ERA, 0-0
Ben Parr: 4.1 ip, 2 hits, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA, 0-0

East Cobb Yankees:
Cody Worthy: 22 ip, 11 hits, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 15 K, 0.00 ERA, 4-0
Keyton Gibson: 22 ip, 12 hits, 7 R (2 ER), 12 BB, 25 K, 0.64 ERA, 3-1

Thanks. I follow them more now on the Beesball tweets .... https://twitter.com/beesball ..... Craport must have had a bad game since the last one was three scoreless innings.

I think East Cobb is in a really weak league, BUT, Worthy and Gibson are killing it with 22 IP each.

As I mentioned above, I like Datoc and just have a feeling about him coming on for us. There are a lot of good possibilities here.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. I follow them more now on the Beesball tweets .... https://twitter.com/beesball ..... Craport must have had a bad game since the last one was three scoreless innings.

I think East Cobb is in a really weak league, BUT, Worthy and Gibson are killing it with 22 IP each.

As I mentioned above, I like Datoc and just have a feeling about him coming on for us. There are a lot of good possibilities here.

Beesball does a great job!

East Cobb Yankees play other U18 travel teams which have mostly recently graduated seniors and rising seniors. About half the teams they play are pretty good. Gibson's loss the other day was to Midland Redskins who have multiple guys signed/committed to Vandy/Louisville/etc.

Hopefully all the guys will get good experience this summer to help bolster the pitching depth.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With Hughes, this is clearly our best class for pitchers (on Perfect Game paper) since before 2008. Will they all work out? No way ... only 2 of the 5 top 200 pitchers since 2008 have worked out for us (in baseball :rolleyes:).

Here's what we have had for pitchers ranked in top 200 by

Perfect Game / MLB draft # from HS

2008 - 193/NA Bryce Wilson
2009 - 59/1378 Buck Farmer
2010 - 11/435 DeAndre Smelter, 87/128 Matt Grimes
2011 - None
2012 - None
2013 - None
2014 - 143/NA Daniel Gooden
2015 - 39/1174 Tristin English, 125/NA Keyton Gibson, 142/68 Jonathan Hughes

What I didn't appreciate is how poorly we did for pitchers in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. No wonder we are where we are. But the future looks really promising now! Can't wait for the season to start now (y)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
And all those guys except Farmer blew out their arms. As I've said probably a million times that has just as much to do with our pitching woes as anything.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And all those guys except Farmer blew out their arms. As I've said probably a million times that has just as much to do with our pitching woes as anything.

Absolutely. And not just for GT. My friends son at Liberty blew out his arm and came back, so did Kirby (?) at UVa and lord knows how many others.

Problem is that US kids are throwing too hard too soon too much. (Unless you believe the Japanese model .... but that is a different setting where the teaching of mechanics seems to be different.)

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. And not just for GT. My friends son at Liberty blew out his arm and came back, so did Kirby (?) at UVa and lord knows how many others.

Problem is that US kids are throwing too hard too soon too much. (Unless you believe the Japanese model .... but that is a different setting where the teaching of mechanics seems to be different.)

I agree it's not just us. I also concur that these kids are throwing the heat much too much. I think they really need to take more time to warmup their arms then what they're doing from what Scott Bankhead (Baseball Academy here in Greensboro) and others have told me. Teaching mechanics is a must and settings are different with everyone (size..etc).

I will say that coach Hall will only let them pitch a certain amount of pitches, no more than that.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say that coach Hall will only let them pitch a certain amount of pitches, no more than that.

Yeah ...... Hall is better for the players than the team winning the game that day ....... but that seems like the right thing in the long run.

Hopefully one of these years we put it all together and make a run in Omaha. I will wait (not that I have a choice).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Amen to that Nuke.

I f you were able to watch/listen to John Smoltz's HOF acceptance speech (which was a bit long) he called out parents and coaches regarding damaging kids arms. CDH et al pulling a kid after "x" innings is the right thing to do.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah ...... Hall is better for the players than the team winning the game that day ....... but that seems like the right thing in the long run.

Hopefully one of these years we put it all together and make a run in Omaha. I will wait (not that I have a choice).

I still have my T Shirt from our last visit to Omaha, but it is fading badly and I need a new one. C'mon guys, with all this great young pitching, let's start rolling again this coming year!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I still have my T Shirt from our last visit to Omaha, but it is fading badly and I need a new one. C'mon guys, with all this great young pitching, let's start rolling again this coming year!!

If we make it to Omaha, I'll be there for a game or two! Ironically, after Summer Leagues, I'm as concerned about hitting as pitching next year. Just have to wait and see ...... till then there is another sport a few of us follow ......