Eli

Helluva Engineer
Portal names are starting to post on D1. So far;

Terry Busse
JD Smith
Jackson Vaughn
Demitri Diamant
Nicholas Romano -Florida International

How did we manage to completely destroy Terry Busse in one year? Yet we keep going back to the well with Dawson Brown who has a career ERA of 7.65? Incredible

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Transfer or draft, our guys seems to do just fine once they leave GT
Have we had any guys who did well after transferring out? I'm sure there's someone, but I can't think of a name right now. Micah Owings if you want to count him, but that was about 15 years ago.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
What happened to Jackson Vaughn? He wasn't even on our roster this year. Other than possibly Busse, I don't think the others were probably going to play much of a role next year. I'm sure there will be several more after the season is over. Don't the roster limits get reduced next year?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
What happened to Jackson Vaughn? He wasn't even on our roster this year. Other than possibly Busse, I don't think the others were probably going to play much of a role next year. I'm sure there will be several more after the season is over. Don't the roster limits get reduced next year?
I believe that Jackson Vaughn was injured this season. I don't know any details, but FittedJacket told us before the season started that we wouldn't have him or Petey Craska this year. No details were given, but the info was correct.

Nicolas Romano transferred to FIU before the season started, but I think he didn't get enrolled at FIU in time to play there this season.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe that Jackson Vaughn was injured this season. I don't know any details, but FittedJacket told us before the season started that we wouldn't have him or Petey Craska this year. No details were given, but the info was correct.

Nicolas Romano transferred to FIU before the season started, but I think he didn't get enrolled at FIU in time to play there this season.
Thanks for the update. I must have missed the injury update on Vaughn. If I'm not mistaken I think I have seen Craska in the dugout this year. Don't remember seeing Vaughn. I remember seeing Craska in some homer hitting contests with Burress his senior year of high school. Dude has some serious raw power. I could see him replacing Ellis as a DH in the future if he comes back healthy.

FittedJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Romano is at FAU not FIU
High number of returning players 14-17 (includes players graduating or no longer having eligibility)
Portal opens officially June 3 and I’m pretty sure you are going to see numerous names entered and some you may be surprised to see. We are in the brave new world of the transfer portal and nil. The ncaa has removed most if not all restrictions.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Romano is at FAU not FIU
High number of returning players 14-17 (includes players graduating or no longer having eligibility)
Portal opens officially June 3 and I’m pretty sure you are going to see numerous names entered and some you may be surprised to see. We are in the brave new world of the transfer portal and nil. The ncaa has removed most if not all restrictions.
Any hints on who we may surprised to see leave? Hoping this freshmen class can stay somewhat intact.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Have we had any guys who did well after transferring out? I'm sure there's someone, but I can't think of a name right now. Micah Owings if you want to count him, but that was about 15 years ago.
The vast majority go on to start and play. How well is all perspective. We get all excited off these top nationally recruiting classes when they post. Yet, the majority will not play or only see inconsistent time. So when they leave we belittle them saying they were not contributors while at the same time beat up the coaches for lack of development and decision making. I understand post Covid they will only get 4 years, not 5+ with the COVID era. So while we have players enjoying year 5 +, others who ideally who should be playing, just lost a year of there 4. The term “go where you can play” rings more true today than ever. The obstacle is the used car salesman, AKA coaches, who tell everyone they will start.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
The vast majority go on to start and play. How well is all perspective. We get all excited off these top nationally recruiting classes when they post. Yet, the majority will not play or only see inconsistent time. So when they leave we belittle them saying they were not contributors while at the same time beat up the coaches for lack of development and decision making. I understand post Covid they will only get 4 years, not 5+ with the COVID era. So while we have players enjoying year 5 +, others who ideally who should be playing, just lost a year of there 4. The term “go where you can play” rings more true today than ever. The obstacle is the used car salesman, AKA coaches, who tell everyone they will start.
So again I'll ask for an example. I can't think of any.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
So far no starters. That will be the litmus test I think. Expect the list to increase a lot within a week of our last game?
Lackey & Burress are considered starters. Kerce and Brosius a close second. I imagine the rest get drafted or graduate. So are we going to fill the gaps with transfers or develop the bench guys that we say are not good?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You got Google right? Hare, Frye, Bauchaum to name a few recent ones. Fairly sure Romano and Smolke will be playing when they are eligible

I guess the question is which of these players do we guess would be starting for us if they hadn't left.

The biggest I can think of (who went for peanuts in the draft but not portal) is Grissom. But I can't think of any who left via the portal.

The loyalty of the players to stay has been an endorsement of Hall.

If Burress goes to LSU for say $1M a year, that would be an understandable example that doesn't show much except that money talks. An example of the increase in semi-pro aspect of college baseball..

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lackey & Burress are considered starters. Kerce and Brosius a close second. I imagine the rest get drafted or graduate. So are we going to fill the gaps with transfers or develop the bench guys that we say are not good?

I think I understand your point that we need to develop players or roll the dice with being able to get transfers (which I don't like for pure fan reasons of wanting these to be real GT students). It's not that the players being developed "are not good" but that other players have higher performance stats or expected potential. No one knows how players are going to develop. The two you listed are very good and also have high potential. I think Lackey as catcher will be one of the best defensively, just need to get the OBP up.

Lackey and Burress aren't on the list, but losing them would be big. The reason they left would matter; if for mega $ that is one thing. If the pay is the same, then it says something different.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
You got Google right? Hare, Frye, Bauchaum to name a few recent ones. Fairly sure Romano and Smolke will be playing when they are eligible
Yeah, I was about to write about Frye. I only sorta count him as he transferred down a level, but I guess maybe he counts. I know who Hare and Bauchaun are, but haven’t noticed them this season. Where are they at?

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I was about to write about Frye. I only sorta count him as he transferred down a level, but I guess maybe he counts. I know who Hare and Bauchaun are, but haven’t noticed them this season. Where are they at?
Are you saying down a level because Mercer is not a P5? Hare and Frye are at Mercer. Hare had a very good summer in the NECBL including 12 HRs. Frye is being talked about a late round draft pick

Hare is at Wofford, my error

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think I understand your point that we need to develop players or roll the dice with being able to get transfers (which I don't like for pure fan reasons of wanting these to be real GT students). It's not that the players being developed "are not good" but that other players have higher performance stats or expected potential. No one knows how players are going to develop. The two you listed are very good and also have high potential. I think Lackey as catcher will be one of the best defensively, just need to get the OBP up.

Lackey and Burress aren't on the list, but losing them would be big. The reason they left would matter; if for mega $ that is one thing. If the pay is the same, then it says something different.

Burress could have went to any college in America out of high school including the MLB draft. To assume he is leaving for big money at LSU or any other school for that matter is a little disingenuous to the guy. He obviously wanted to be at Tech from day 1.