Portal Quality

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just spitballing here. What quality player enters the potal and specifically why. Clearly in some cases it is strickly NIL ( usually 5 stars) Some wanting exposure for NBA future. Many are for playing time, being under used at their current school (or so they think) Many of these drop down to lower rated schools. A few for academics. A few fbecause of coach or player conflicts. Thoughts???

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think you pretty well nailed it. IMPO, the issue of PT is paramount for most portal entries. Better positioning for the draft might be second. Today NIL might be there, too.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Agree, think you covered most of it, seems like we brought some in earlier to help set our culture and something we had attracted them also. Do think our staff is very culture conscience all the time which I really like that we do that. Seems CBK is flexible on things he can be flexible on and a stickler on others which I also like.

slugboy

Staff member
Just spitballing here. What quality player enters the potal and specifically why. Clearly in some cases it is strickly NIL ( usually 5 stars) Some wanting exposure for NBA future. Many are for playing time, being under used at their current school (or so they think) Many of these drop down to lower rated schools. A few for academics. A few fbecause of coach or player conflicts. Thoughts???
Are you talking football (this forum) or basketball?

For football, we haven’t had Spring practice yet, and the transfer portal won’t be active right now

For basketball, we haven’t hit the tournament yet. Expect portal activity after that

In both cases, student athletes enter the portal because
  1. They see more playing time elsewhere
  2. They see another spot where they’ll win more
  3. They see another spot where they like the coaches or environment more
  4. They had coaching turnover
  5. They’ve been tampered with (come here for this deal)
  6. They’re misinformed about their market value
  7. They’ve been told “it’s time to move on”
  8. They see another spot that will better get them to the pros
1,2,3,4,7,8 are vectors for us (and others)—either stepping down from Clemson or Texas A&M, or up from a G5.

A 5* is unlikely unless there’s a pot of gold in the north end zone