Perfect Games top classes of 2024

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope they are right this time, but one of these days these top classes need to actually convert to wins.

I would be interested in knowing their criteria for ranking classes. How can LSU have the best pitcher in the class, three of the top 5 players in the class, and not be the #1 class? If their ranking prioritizes quantity over quality, I'll just have to disagree.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope they are right this time, but one of these days these top classes need to actually convert to wins.

I would be interested in knowing their criteria for ranking classes. How can LSU have the best pitcher in the class, three of the top 5 players in the class, and not be the #1 class? If their ranking prioritizes quantity over quality, I'll just have to disagree.
I think there is a quantity aspect to it. We have a large class, and our per player rating is lower than a good bit of the top classes

Average player rating has us 16th.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there is a quantity aspect to it. We have a large class, and our per player rating is lower than a good bit of the top classes

Quantity is certainly a good thing, don't get me wrong. But quality should be a larger component. Most GMs will tell you the team that wins the trade is usually the one who gets the best player, not the one who gets the most players.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

So we're recruiting like SEC football? Big classes, most players get jailed or never play.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
It is either a garbage ranking or we just don’t coach them to success. Maybe a combination of both. The vast majority of our highly ranked players have transferred so only time will tell. I also assume a fair amount of the recruiting class will be cut, hence not posting a fall roster like most schools.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is either a garbage ranking or we just don’t coach them to success. Maybe a combination of both. The vast majority of our highly ranked players have transferred so only time will tell. I also assume a fair amount of the recruiting class will be cut, hence not posting a fall roster like most schools.

As much as I dislike Hall hanging on, one thing we have not done is cut a large number of the new recruits. SEC teams like Texas do that regularly. Hall is loyal to his players and his players to him.

And I think either top talent like Grissom just leave for peanuts and don't transfer that much; either way they are gone before they can meaningfully contribute.

The "problem" is the imbalance between highly ranked batters / fielders and pitchers. We don't get (and develop) pitchers and thus don't compete post-season.

Looking forward to the fall Bocce season starting up here next week.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
So with such a highly ranked catcher coming in the fall we have a dilemma. Does Rogers start at catcher? If so, what do we do with Lackey? Assuming his hitting improves does he remain at catcher because of his superb defensive skills behind the plate? Do we get both of them on the field by having one of them play a different position like first or third base? Or do we have them split time behind the plate? I doubt we go with the last option. Has anyone seen Rogers play? Can he play another position? If so, I'm curious if you think he should start at catcher.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So with such a highly ranked catcher coming in the fall we have a dilemma. Does Rogers start at catcher? If so, what do we do with Lackey? Assuming his hitting improves does he remain at catcher because of his superb defensive skills behind the plate? Do we get both of them on the field by having one of them play a different position like first or third base? Or do we have them split time behind the plate? I doubt we go with the last option. Has anyone seen Rogers play? Can he play another position? If so, I'm curious if you think he should start at catcher.
I imagine Lackey will be the starting catcher. He really came on strong at the end of the year. I saw on perfect game that Rogers can play OF, so I think he will start in one of the corners with Burress in CF and Brosius in the other corner. Rogers could also start over Waugh at DH and spell Lackey once a week behind the plate.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Just looked today and the roster has been updated as well, but it just has returning players on it. So, no transfers in or incoming freshmen yet. It looks like Giesler and Patel will both be back.