Pastner Ball - Memphis vs Oklahoma 11/17/15

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Everyone who was asking why we "die hards" were against this hire, Watch this game and you will see. Lots of 3's, lots of disorganization.

Need for an X's and O's coach is quite evident. Early in the game they comment that Pastner had recently switched from a 2 in 3 out style he took from Olson to a 1 in 4 out offense from Cal. Personally I hope we go back to 2 in 3 out. Duke often runs 1 in 4 out but they usually have exceptional shooters. Kentucky use to run 1 in but I think even Cal has moved away from dribble drive the last couple years a bit because he has had tremendous big man talent.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Everyone who was asking why we "die hards" were against this hire, Watch this game and you will see. Lots of 3's, lots of disorganization.

Need for an X's and O's coach is quite evident. Early in the game they comment that Pastner had recently switched from a 2 in 3 out style he took from Olson to a 1 in 4 out offense from Cal. Personally I hope we go back to 2 in 3 out. Duke often runs 1 in 4 out but they usually have exceptional shooters. Kentucky use to run 1 in but I think even Cal has moved away from dribble drive the last couple years a bit because he has had tremendous big man talent.

He switched to 1 in 4 out because of personnel. Also, I think you see a lot more organization on O than we saw with Hewitt. We'll see, I guess.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
While the offense may be questionable the defense was horrid.

Have to get up on the shooters better and where was the help?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While the offense may be questionable the defense was horrid.

Have to get up on the shooters better and where was the help?
Some of the defense has to do with the players' experience. He had seven freshmen on that team and it was their 2nd game of the season. Also, if your goal is to run an up tempo game, you want the other team to be anxious on offense and take shots early in their possessions. You cannot do that denying shots. The hope here is that you are better prepared for an 88-85 game than the other team. JP talked about this in the presser. He referenced the "hot potato" style on offense and going after every 50/50 ball as if it belonged by right to his players. This aggressiveness will be a huge change for our current players, but will be interesting to watch. I think it will also be a challenge for some ACC teams. And, maybe for some of us.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Some of the defense has to do with the players' experience. He had seven freshmen on that team and it was their 2nd game of the season. Also, if your goal is to run an up tempo game, you want the other team to be anxious on offense and take shots early in their possessions. You cannot do that denying shots. The hope here is that you are better prepared for an 88-85 game than the other team. JP talked about this in the presser. He referenced the "hot potato" style on offense and going after every 50/50 ball as if it belonged by right to his players. This aggressiveness will be a huge change for our current players, but will be interesting to watch. I think it will also be a challenge for some ACC teams. And, maybe for some of us.

Tadric should flourish in my estimation

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn't watch so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. My son is a Memphis area resident and follows the Tigers and Grizzlies closely. Frequently attends games of both. The Tigers are his "1B" favorite BB team and the Jackets are his "1a" team (as he calls them). In other words, he would pull for Memphis against every team BUT GT. this turn of events has him with mixed emotions as you can imagine.

He and I have talked about the hire over the last couple of days. He spoke specifically of this game.The Memphis fans were not upset with a close loss to an eventual final four team on their home floor very early in the season. They saw it as a glimmer of better things to come. It's the losses to programs that have no where near the talent and tradition of Memphis that broke the fan base (he mentioned ECU and several others). Some GT fans have mistakenly linked the Memphis fan base reaction to a "he's not Calipari" backlash. That indicates a total lack of understanding of the history and BB culture of that city. Memphis BB was strong well before anyone here (or there) ever heard the name "Calipari" and you can field nationally competitive teams just recruiting withing a 30 mile radius of the campus. Memphis is a school like St.Johns, Xavier, Cincinatti, Temple, Villanova, etc, where BB is THE sole focus and like the schools mentioned, have had success historically (along with the occasional down cycle). There is a passion for basketball there that I just don't think anyone who was born and raised in Georgia understands.I think that is because neither Tech nor Georgia have had any maintained success in the sport. When the Tigers are playing well, it is not uncommon for them to draw 15,000 or more fans to the FedEx arena.

According to him, most of the Memphis fan base wish him nothing but the best in this new endeavor.As do all of us.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I occasionally watch Memphis. I've always like JP as a coach. He just looked like he checked out the last year or so there. He didn't seem to have the same passion he did when he first got the job. Maybe a change is good for him and hopefully us. If he can bring in the talent and have the success he did his first 5 season I think the whole fan base will be happy as hell. I pesrsonally like this hire a lot. But that's just me.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I like the style. It needs to be a little more organized, because it looks a lot like AAU basketball, but it will be fun to watch if he recruits well. I was definitely against the hire because of a) the buyout b) all of the transfers and c) the steady decline over the last couple of years, but I'm willing to give him a chance and I will root the team on. Go Jackets, and good luck coach Pastner!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Well, I mean, that's like bragging you beat a guy with no arms in a fist fight.
kick.jpg