PAC 12 Players Want $ and Insurance, Threatening a Boycott

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I saw that last night. However, it is the interpretation of one father of one player. From the report I saw, it is possible that this player has stated that he is opting out of this season for COVID concerns. If that is the case, it is entirely fair for the team to ask him to clear out his locker and not participate in any team activities. If he is not going to play then remove him from the team and don't have another variable in the COVID concerns. If that is the case, it is also extremely fair of the team to keep him on scholarship.

It might be the case that the team is reacting to the movement, but I won't take one person's Twitter ramblings as evidence of that. "News" organizations shouldn't take that as a source of information either. They should get some kind of confirmation before they report such a thing. Statement from the school, statements from other players who are treated the same, statements from other players who have first hand information (not simply repeating what this player had told his father), etc.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I found a Twitter source for opting-out. (Still, Twitter is a cesspool and unreliable as a source of information) He formally opted out of the season for concerns about a pre-existing condition. All of the reporting that I have seen about Washington State is from this player or his father. It might be that the coach told him that this is how they are handling his COVID concerns, that if he continues to pursue the "movement" that he will be handled differently.

It might be that he was told to clean out his locker and not be a part of the team this season. He asked if this was for his participation in the "movement". He was told: no, the "movement" will be handled differently. Which I see nothing wrong with. Differently could be kicked off for good. Differently could be listening to and responding to the concerns raised.

One players interpretation doesn't mean that the program is on a war path. Especially when that player leaves out information, such as he opted out of the season for health concerns.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The Dallas Morning News posted a transcript of a recording of the call between Woods and Rolovich.

They don't have audio of the call, just a transcript.

The player told the coach that he is opting out because of concerns about sickle cell and COVID.
The coach said health concerns are good and asked if the player is joining the movement and if that is what it is about.
The player said he is joining.
The coach said aligning with the movement is going to cause problems. He is good with health related issues, but the movement is going to cause issues on the team.
The coach asked if he is planning to go home and stay at home.
The player said, no he is going to continue to work out, just not travel with the team.
The coach said, no it will send a mixed message to the team if he works out but doesn't play, and they can use the resources for players who will be playing.
They exchanged pleasantries, how's the family, etc.

You have to read between lines to get that he will be kicked off the team if he joins the movement. It might be there, but it isn't blatantly obvious.

Something I would be more concerned about is actually recording and releasing the recording of the phone call. Washington is a two-party consent state for recording phone calls. It is against the law to do so unless he informed the coach. Releasing the recording to the media is a violation of trust between him and the coach. That might be a difficult rift to repair, even if the ideas around the movement are addressed to all parties satisfaction. It seems even worse to release the audio of the phone call when: The call doesn't appear to be a blatant confirmation of the claims. And, the coach/school haven't made any comments to counter what his parents have said.