Outside zone counter?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Key said that this is our bread and butter. One thing I always loved about this forum in the CPJ years were the film examples. Does anyone have a video breakdown or explanation of outside zone counter? I’m thinking that Jamal’s first big run that was set up to go left and he cut back to the right is probably a textbook example.

I’ll hang up and listen… Go Jackets!

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
If you're referring to the Rich Eisen interview I think there's two plays going on here, outside zone and counter.

Outside zone:
1724763308471.png

Counter:
1724763337341.png

You can run both of these basic plays out of dozens of formations, personnel changes, motions, shotgun/pistol/under center, blocking assignments, you can change who is pulling, etc.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I like the one that King scored on against ugag where we were on about their 3 yard line, all movement to the left and King faked a handoff to the RB, kept it, took a step to his right and zipped across the goal line for the TD. Buster runs this somewhat often.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Both plays have same beginning motion so keeps defense honest from scraping to playside. Add in jet motion from WR and play action/ RPO and the defense has alot to process in short period of time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I like the one that King scored on against ugag where we were on about their 3 yard line, all movement to the left and King faked a handoff to the RB, kept it, took a step to his right and zipped across the goal line for the TD. Buster runs this somewhat often.
We ran that at least twice against FSU if I recall correctly. Got some positive yardage but they didn’t break wide open the way they did against uga. I don’t know if it was that FSU was better able to see their keys and read the play or whether they just had slower reaction time than uga which kept them closer to the play.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
If you're referring to the Rich Eisen interview I think there's two plays going on here, outside zone and counter.

Outside zone:
View attachment 16678

Counter:
View attachment 16679

You can run both of these basic plays out of dozens of formations, personnel changes, motions, shotgun/pistol/under center, blocking assignments, you can change who is pulling, etc.
Thank you - yes, the Rich Eisen interview. My ears aren’t as good as they used to be. Thanks for clarifying, and I appreciate the explanations of those plays.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We ran that at least twice against FSU if I recall correctly. Got some positive yardage but they didn’t break wide open the way they did against uga. I don’t know if it was that FSU was better able to see their keys and read the play or whether they just had slower reaction time than uga which kept them closer to the play.
It’s a QB power play, with fake toss. Think defenses have caught on, so time to deploy the PA version…