Our Balanced Offense...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I think some might have made this point before, but I just wanted to make the observation that we really do run a more balanced attack that the stats reflect for one simple reason - the only passes that count as such are forward passes...

I bet if you counted the rocket tosses and the plays that result in an option to A-back sweeping out of the backfield as what they are - passes (just not of the forward kind) - we'd look far more like a conventional offense (at least statistically)...

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I think some might have made this point before, but I just wanted to make the observation that we really do run a more balanced attack that the stats reflect for one simple reason - the only passes that count as such are forward passes...

I bet if you counted the rocket tosses and the plays that result in an option to A-back sweeping out of the backfield as what they are - passes (just not of the forward kind) - we'd look far more like a conventional offense (at least statistically)...
Yea but they are what they are. A sweep is a run just like a handoff.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
My only point was that, despite being rush-oriented offense, we accomplish via toss and pitch what others intend to by way of screens, dumps, and other short passes...
Being a rush-oriented offense, we accomplish via toss and pitch what others intend to by way of tosses and other pitches.

Declinometer

Banned
Let me clear this up. We accomplish with the pitch on the edge (a rushing play) what other teams accomplish by dropping back and throwing. The risk reward is about the same.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Let me clear this up. We accomplish with the pitch on the edge (a rushing play) what other teams accomplish by dropping back and throwing. The risk reward is about the same.
I'm gonna be with Dottie1145 on this one: a run is still a run and a pass is still a pass. Moreover, when you are running for 340 yards per and winning 11 games, your offense is balanced. Everything else is elephant dust.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The balance of the offense is found in the yards per attempt metric as opposed to the total yards passing or rushing. We run for a ton of yards, control the clock, and go for the throat when we do pass. Plus, balance is overrated, anyway. We only need the threat of balance, though sometimes we don't even need that.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you count AB yards as passes (the only approximation I can think of) you'd add another 1491 yards to the passing total from last year, which would equal 3210 yards. With 11 more Tds JT would be 29-6 TD:INT ratio.

3210 yards would put JT just outside of the top 25 in passing yards and tied for 14th in TDs.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
If you count AB yards as passes (the only approximation I can think of) you'd add another 1491 yards to the passing total from last year, which would equal 3210 yards. With 11 more Tds JT would be 29-6 TD:INT ratio.

3210 yards would put JT just outside of the top 25 in passing yards and tied for 14th in TDs.

Would need to compute fumbles on A Back pitches and count them as INTs to make it even better of a fit.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

This is true, but I think it ruins the fun.

Fully 1/3 of the fun of rooting for a team that plays like GT does is bathing in the frustration of fans of rival teams. Going on message boards and seeing posts like "THEY"RE GOING TO RUN IT EVERY PLAY, WHY DOESN'T OUR STUPID DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR REALIZE THIS!?!?" and giggling to yourself is a great hobby :)

"Our idiot players can't figure out a middle school offense"

Don't bother trying to enlighten people, or defend what you do. Just enjoy it, and bask in the schadenfreude.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea, my only reason for making the observation was to take issue with the fools that criticize CPJ and, by extension, our team for being "one dimensional" or not having a "passing game"... OK - fine... We don't have the sort of forward passing game that most other teams employ - but as was amply confirmed CBC, we accomplish a lot of what the shorter passes would, except through different means...

thwgjacket

This is true, but I think it ruins the fun.

Fully 1/3 of the fun of rooting for a team that plays like GT does is bathing in the frustration of fans of rival teams. Going on message boards and seeing posts like "THEY"RE GOING TO RUN IT EVERY PLAY, WHY DOESN'T OUR STUPID DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR REALIZE THIS!?!?" and giggling to yourself is a great hobby :)

"Our idiot players can't figure out a middle school offense"

Don't bother trying to enlighten people, or defend what you do. Just enjoy it, and bask in the schadenfreude.
I work with Clemson fans and they always say "If we just play assignment football we'll stop it, no problem." We have an OL that's going to average 6'4 300+ lbs this year, the fastest QB in the country, one of the fastest RBs in the country on the edge, a slew of tall, fast WRs. Oh, and now a 235 lb. BB who seems to have a severe mean streak. But you know...assignment defense will stop it.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
How does a shotgun, no huddle, QB actually lead his team's offense?
He's not talking to or inspiring them on drives beyond audibles?
They are all drones.