OT: Ticket Prices

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
So the cheapest tickets to the Clemson game this weekend are $82.50. There are still PLENTY available. I will be shocked if this game sells out. Maybe it's just me, but does this not seem a little expensive? Why would they rather sell hardly any tickets at that price instead of selling a lot more at around $40?

The people setting the ticket prices probably know a lot more about this than I do, but I just feel like this isn't the best strategy. Higher ticket prices may maximize your revenue for Year 1, but it seems like getting people in seats at lower prices and hoping they will return for more games in the future would be better in the long term. (I realize this is based on the assumption that if the prices were lowered that they actually would sell more tickets.)

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I just don't see the point of letting the Upper North End Zone sit half empty when you could probably fill it up by lowering prices. I'm curious to know what you all think.

Also, feel free to move this thread if it should be somewhere else.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We've never had any problem with ticket sales at Clemson games in the past, because Clemson fans buy the extra tickets. I don't have a problem with the higher price for this game. The other games have been a lot cheaper. I'm sure some promo codes will come out later in the week as game time approaches if the unsold inventory is still high.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
The other thing to consider is that this is the biggest home game of season and is used to justify the price of a season ticket.

I think a very legitimate concern is that if GT "gives away" tickets to Clemson game for $40, there may be less season ticket sales, and therefore less people in the stands for the other home games.

Killer Bee

Georgia Tech Fan
So the cheapest tickets to the Clemson game this weekend are $82.50. There are still PLENTY available. I will be shocked if this game sells out. Maybe it's just me, but does this not seem a little expensive? Why would they rather sell hardly any tickets at that price instead of selling a lot more at around $40?

The people setting the ticket prices probably know a lot more about this than I do, but I just feel like this isn't the best strategy. Higher ticket prices may maximize your revenue for Year 1, but it seems like getting people in seats at lower prices and hoping they will return for more games in the future would be better in the long term. (I realize this is based on the assumption that if the prices were lowered that they actually would sell more tickets.)

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I just don't see the point of letting the Upper North End Zone sit half empty when you could probably fill it up by lowering prices. I'm curious to know what you all think.

Also, feel free to move this thread if it should be somewhere else.

Completely agree. This may be a big game for people familiar with the ACC, but I doubt the average football fans sees the matchup and thinks $80 in the nosebleeds is a good idea. They should be more worried about butts in seats than season ticket holders at this point. Get people familiar with the program, win, and maybe they'll return.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The price point also discourages out of town alumni, like myself, who only get to see one or two games a year. I almost balked when I saw the price, but bought two because my 8 yr old son finally told me he wanted to see a game at BDS.

Dad story aside:

I was watching one of the big SEC games on tv the other night and my son came up to me after seeing the huge crowd with the camera panning through it showing people going nuts and then panning back to see the enormity and pageantry of it all. He just stared at the screen and said "when can I see a game like that?" I said "you're watching one right now." He never took his eyes off the mayhem on tv, pointed at the screen and said, "no, I mean at the game..."

At that moment in knew in my heart..... it's time!

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Some things never change....my dad always says that even in the 60's BDS was sometimes like an away game because so many local fans for the other team were there. There are a lot of Tech fans that just won't pay that price to pack the house. I don't know what the solution is, but we need more fan support so the team can really have a home field advantage.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The price point also discourages out of town alumni, like myself, who only get to see one or two games a year. I almost balked when I saw the price, but bought two because my 8 yr old son finally told me he wanted to see a game at BDS.

Dad story aside:

I was watching one of the big SEC games on tv the other night and my son came up to me after seeing the huge crowd with the camera panning through it showing people going nuts and then panning back to see the enormity and pageantry of it all. He just stared at the screen and said "when can I see a game like that?" I said "you're watching one right now." He never took his eyes off the mayhem on tv, pointed at the screen and said, "no, I mean at the game..."

At that moment in knew in my heart..... it's time!
Btw, he doesn't know I got him a ticket yet, he thinks he's gonna have to play with his little sister while I go to the game. Surprise, surprise!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm looking forward to my boy getting more into it. He's getting there but the attention span and endurance during the game, at 6yoa, aint quite there yet. If my two girls get into it big I may have to work more OT to pay for more tix.....that will be a battle with their momma likely too. Pretty sure she is gonna push to cancel the season tix...hate to disappoint her but it has to happen sometimes.

Animal02

Banned
I'm looking forward to my boy getting more into it. He's getting there but the attention span and endurance during the game, at 6yoa, aint quite there yet. If my two girls get into it big I may have to work more OT to pay for more tix.....that will be a battle with their momma likely too. Pretty sure she is gonna push to cancel the season tix...hate to disappoint her but it has to happen sometimes.

My 6 yo was not so much into the game itself.....though he kept asking the score, as he was with getting popcorn and a coke...and calling Buzz over all the time for Hi Fives. ;) He has already said that we need front row seats in the same place when we play @ Pitt in two years.

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Just received email from gt that they plan to launch a promotion this afternoon to sell tickets in upper north end zone for $50.
Just fyi.

☠CaptainBuzz☠

Jolly Good Fellow
If section 218 were going for around $45 like the UVA game, I would seriously consider making the drive again. But, they aren't so.....I'll see you in Athens.