Optimizing Social Media in recruiting

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
I was never that interested in Twitter until I figured out it was a good way to follow GT Basketball recruits. While I already had an account, I didn't really start using it until ~1 year ago. I've interacted with a few recruits, but try to always be positive and never get in arguments with fans from other schools ... some knuckleheads do! Anyway, I didn't really know what the NCAA rules were, or necessarily what was the best approach was in helping project a positive image of GT or the sports programs. I came across a couple of articles that I found it interesting and thought I'd share:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...-recruits-twitter-facebook-social-media-rules

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...powerful-aide-dangerous-connection-recruiting

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If they have signed with the school I’m all for showing them love. If they are prospects, it feels creepy to me as a 34 year old man to tweet at them when I don’t know them. For some reason there is a difference.

That said the entire premise of twitter is somewhat creepy but...ya know

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's only creepy if you take it as far as a Ron does ... "want to stay at my house and swim in my pool?" or "I think of you as a friend Gary, I hope you feel the same way about me." ;)

It you just a tweet to a recruit "congratulations", "great game", "great year", "hang in there", "See you at GT next year", etc. ... seems ok to me. Shows you're interested in what they value ... their game. Someone tweeted to Marcus Watson that GT beat #15 Miami on his birthday, and his response was "I love it". But I'm sure it's a 2 edge sword ... you wouldn't want to come across as a pest, or creepy, etc.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This may have already been posted elsewhere...

chmqOjP.png

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice cartoon, but it makes the assumption that the person sending the tweet has certain attributes, including thinking they're very persuasive or that they'll make a big difference in a recruit's decision. I wouldn't be so presumptuous. I do think a positive/engaged student body and alumni might have an effect in helping to project a positive, humanized image of GT ... and might make a minor difference.

In any case, if you don't think it'll make a difference, than why care if someone sends a positive tweet to a recruit?

crut

Helluva Engineer
I agree tweeting without making it personal has a lot of benefits. And it's really annoying when people on forums discourage the fan base from trying to excite a recruit about the school. As long as it's not creepy, I'm all for it.