Ogbonda

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd like to hear thoughts on what we've seen thus far,the importance of his presence down low and if he'll be able to get the job done.My thoughts are we've got an athletic disciplined hard nosed high energy guy who'll be willing.He needs experience but up to this point I like his mobility and discipline.He's got a nice bounce to him,quick leaper and he looks good spinning right into the jump hook.Looking forward to him improving into a solid player.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Ogbondo is a year or two away from being a solid ACC center. Potential - yes. Size - yes. Athletic - yes. Plays with energy - yes. Offensive skills - raw/limited right now. Defense - does not block shots (like Lammers can with his length), plays more position using his body (think a slightly more athletic version of Jacobs on the defensive end), does put effort in rebounding.

I do not see him playing more than 10-12 minutes in a competitive game this year unless Lammers is in foul trouble.
Seeing them both in three games so far - Lammers is significantly better at this time, can compete with the better ACC centers, and will be out there 30+ minutes most nights ... I think Lammers played about 35 minutes last night (the whole second half until last minute when bench was cleared) and I expect to see a lot of zone to keep Lammers on the court and out of foul trouble.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with Glandon.
Good potential, but right now is a raw bit player.
In 2 yrs he might be a serviceable ACC center.

But watching him makes it more clear to me why Obiagu is a priority recruit right now (maybe the most important one imo as I think we may have enough perimeter pieces to be ok for a year).

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
No disrespect to Ogbondo but it makes you wonder what Gregory saw in him during the recruiting process. I hope the current coaching staff can get him to a level where he can be a contributor.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect to Ogbondo but it makes you wonder what Gregory saw in him during the recruiting process. I hope the current coaching staff can get him to a level where he can be a contributor.

The same thing they saw in a couple of other "less talented" guys.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the ceiling is pretty high but with Lammers and AD in the picture not to mention a recruit of interest post player looming we'll see him come along slow...but be productive.
One thing I liked was an instance in the second game when they were coming out of zone full court pressure and Southern found themselves in a trap situation with AD and Ogbonda the trappers along with the half court line.They worked the guy into picking up his dribble with length and quick feet.He's "fast twitch" and looks to have some touch.I see him coming on like Eddie Elisma and Alade Aminu did back in the day eventually becoming a nice player.