No, really.....

techman

Jolly Good Fellow
Since UGA boat raced FSU last year (63 -3 !!! ), and we played UGA a much more competitive game, WHY IS FSU FAVORED so heavily AGAINST US this Saturday? Is it because some of UGA's best did not play against us?
Signed,
Lookin' for a realistic rationale as to why we might win Saturday

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Since UGA boat raced FSU last year (63 -3 !!! ), and we played UGA a much more competitive game, WHY IS FSU FAVORED so heavily AGAINST US this Saturday? Is it because some of UGA's best did not play against us?
Signed,
Well that means nothing of course, but two real reasons why we "might" win Saturday, beyond the fact that we will have a very competitive team on the field overall, are that we are superior in the two spots that matter most, QB and coaching. This game has all the earmarks of going down to the wire.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Back in the day Carling Brewery, which was very close to Gt had free beer on tap taste room.

If I heard correctly :
During FSU game Andy Demetra will be broadcast our official watch party , WHICH WILL BE HELD AT A BREWERY.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Signed,
Did you miss that Florida State trotted out 3rd stringers for that game after the entire squad opted out? They were completely deflated after the playoff snub. Jordan Travis-led F$U against the Pups probably would have been a competitive game.

I don't think we win but if we do pull off the upset, it's because FSU failed to replace Jordan Travis/Keon Coleman/Johnny Wilson with respectable playmakers. I was not impressed with their offense at any point after Jordan Travis went down. That said, DJ U is a lot better than Tate Rodemaker and Brock Glenn.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did you miss that Florida State trotted out 3rd stringers for that game after the entire squad opted out? They were completely deflated after the playoff snub. Jordan Travis-led F$U against the Pups probably would have been a competitive game.
Year before in a feel good david verses goliath they let TCU get into playoff. Worst chamiopnship game ever.

No way the ADVERTISERS would let in FSU without Qb.

So FSU goes total punk and quits before that bowl game.
They could have chosen to make a statement for TEAM, SCHOOL, or CONFERENCE.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Signed,
Forget the bowl game, as F$U opted out of that.

F$U is favored because they have been a consistent and better team the last 2 years, with an excellent team last year, while GT has been wildly inconsistent. F$U still has a lot of excellent athletes and an experienced defense. GT played the 2nd half of the season much better than the first and that is the team I think we'll see on Sat with some improvement if they can find a rhythm. We have a lot of question marks on the defensive side of the ball.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
So FSU goes total punk and quits before that bowl game.
They could have chosen to make a statement for TEAM, SCHOOL, or CONFERENCE.

But there is no ‘NIL’ in team, school, or conference. I did wonder if/what recourse boosters would have for paying all this money to players, only to watch them sit out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Signed,
Not having Jordan had a lot to do with it. Seems they just mailed it in. We could win if we can stop them from running the ball down our throats. I don't think we can but we will see. Our best chance is to stop the run and make the "U" beat us with passing. If we have to play them, now is a good time before they get things straightened out as they have a bunch of portal talent but it takes time to get it to work out I suppose. One year in the 1970s, Florida had a team with boatloads of talent, 8 or more guys going to the NFL and lost almost all their games. Talent alone won't get it done but it sure helps.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are so enamored with our offense (as you should) that you don't even seem to acknowledge the defenses in this game. FSU has a stout defensive line. But that's not to say our hogs up front can't push em around. They pushed UGA around, they can push FSU.

However, I'm mainly concerned about Tech's ability to stop the run. FSU is gonna want to win this game being simple as possible and make it an easy day for DJU. They will run it down our throats. Not sure if we can stop them.

Just kidding. Brent Key is about to drop his back on Norvell's head. LETS GOOOO!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I want to win this game so bad. Every time we have a major transition changing game we come up short. I’m looking at you Penn State and you Tennessee and you Louisville. Winning this game would be our knock on the door that everyone would hear.
Penn State? 1991? Tennessee? 2017? Some other game? I don't have a clue about Louisville or much of anything else approaching 70.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not kidding I dreamed last night that we had a late 4th quarter comeback. I woke up laughing though, because I know it’s not gonna be close.

The plan is simple, crowd the box and stuff the run to force DJU to perform.

techman

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not kidding I dreamed last night that we had a late 4th quarter comeback. I woke up laughing though, because I know it’s not gonna be close.

The plan is simple, crowd the box and stuff the run to force DJU to perform.
Why do you think it will not be close?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really don't get the FSU love. They have massive turnover with high round NFL players leaving, and replaced them with guys that are good, but not at the level that left.

Did I read their OC is suspended the first game?! Seriously?

DJU has gotten better than when he left Clemson. That dude has NFL level arm talent. However, this is still his first game in a new system under Norvell. Remember, it took Jordan Travis multiple years under Norvell before he performed well. I don't think DJU will play anywhere near that level in his first game under Norvell. Maybe later in the year, but this won't be later in the year...and we're not even talking about how the rest of the offense will perform.

FSU will have a good defense, but they are also replacing a lot of talent on that side of the ball. Now they have to go against one of the top returning offenses in the country, with one of the top OL groups in the country, led by one of the top QBs in the country. IMO, the FSU defense vs the GT offense will be the real game. GT will have the advantage here. Since FSU will have to replace a lot of players on the defensive side, it will be a baptism by fire for them. My hope is that Key and Faulkner keep their foot on the pedal the entire time. Let's not repeat what happened against Louisville last year where we started out hot, and went cold during the middle of the game.

People forget our run game is NASTY. On top of that, we have installed some new packages to take advantage of King's legs to open up the offense. It's predicted that it will be wet in Ireland, so the run game will be important. I think our run game will be even better than last season's offense.

Should be a coming out party for GT with the college football world's eyes on this game.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you think it will not be close?
I think we are going to overwhelm them offensively.
King can’t be replicated by a scout team. He’s way too fast.
Jamal Haynes was already a nightmare, but he put on 10lbs of muscle and had his first real offseason at RB.
We will have the fastest WR’s on the field + tall jump ball weapons (including TE Boyd, who showed out in the spring game)
A returning OL that was plowing by the end of last season, and apparently has improved with practicing new D and with addition of Rutledge (according the King)

This is a pre-gelled group that was starting to look very dangerous and is even more so now.

I know FSU has a stout defense, but you can say the same and more for UGA last year, and we crammed 200+ rushing yards down their throat. (Then another 284 yards against UCF)