NIL in CBB

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There are a range of opinions on where the system is headed. But there are a fair number of aggressive opinions that college is simply going to go the way of pro sports with football, breaking off from the rest of the Olympic sports and colleges fielding fully funded football teams where players are employees under collective bargaining, and there is no money to fund any of the Olympic sports. basketball may or may not be included in that deal, but given the increasing level of support top players are giving the G league, I expect basketball will be more of an Olympic sport.

My own personal opinion is, it’s going to be a brutal next decade as all of this gets sorted out
My hope is that cooler heads (don’t ask me who or where they show up from) prevail and they don’t let this debacle drag on for more than a couple of years or so before some decisive action is taken to course correct.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Since the NCAA cannot or will not develop NIL rules, here are some ideas for consideration:

- NIL contracts must be for actual use of the name, image, or likeness of the contracted athlete. Contracts must state what the use will be and the time period for allowed usage. The use must begin before the contracted payment is distributed to the athlete. If the name, image, or likeness is not used, the contracted payment is forfeited.

- NIL contracts must be reported to the athlete's college or university.

- NIL use must begin before the athlete can participate in NCAA competition.

- NIL contracts must not be dependent on participation at a specific college or university.

- NIL payments must be reported to the IRS.

- Colleges and universities, booster groups,, and individual boosters aligned with a specific college or university are not eligible for NIL contracts or payments.

- Violations subject the athlete to loss of NCAA eligibility.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
NIL payments must be reported to the IRS.

I think that one is already cared for by the IRS. If you receive payment from an entity in excess of the annual gift tax exclusion (believe it's $17k this year), you must report the income and the payor must report the payment. Generally, that would be reported on a 1099 if between a business and an individual

slugboy

Staff member
Since the NCAA cannot or will not develop NIL rules, here are some ideas for consideration:

- NIL contracts must be for actual use of the name, image, or likeness of the contracted athlete. Contracts must state what the use will be and the time period for allowed usage. The use must begin before the contracted payment is distributed to the athlete. If the name, image, or likeness is not used, the contracted payment is forfeited.

- NIL contracts must be reported to the athlete's college or university.

- NIL use must begin before the athlete can participate in NCAA competition.

- NIL contracts must not be dependent on participation at a specific college or university.

- NIL payments must be reported to the IRS.

- Colleges and universities, booster groups,, and individual boosters aligned with a specific college or university are not eligible for NIL contracts or payments.

- Violations subject the athlete to loss of NCAA eligibility.

Good list, but there are a sea of lawyers ready to fight you on this one I’m quoting below:

I also think the issue is broader than NIL. There is (1) that the athletes should get the benefits of their names related to their activities on the field and (2) athletes should be able to earn outside income. (2) should be unrelated to their sport and scholarship.

At some point, if you want to limit moonlighting, you need to provide a paycheck

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am reluctant to share this. I was talking s couple of months ago to an acquaintance who was a former women's BB head coach. I asked what she thought about all the transfers and NIL on college sports. I was interested in why she thought there are some many transfers, and how difficult it must make the job of planning and recruiting. She agreed it was probably a good time for her to get out of coaching. Her comment about transfers was that so many of the kids now have a sense of entitlement and it's an "all about me" attitude. Not so much about NIL for the women but it does factor in.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am reluctant to share this. I was talking s couple of months ago to an acquaintance who was a former women's BB head coach. I asked what she thought about all the transfers and NIL on college sports. I was interested in why she thought there are some many transfers, and how difficult it must make the job of planning and recruiting. She agreed it was probably a good time for her to get out of coaching. Her comment about transfers was that so many of the kids now have a sense of entitlement and it's an "all about me" attitude. Not so much about NIL for the women but it does factor in.
I wonder how much off that "it's all about me" attitude is what goes with being a high level athlete in any sport. I mean, those folks NEED a lot of self-confidence, no? I don't know...just wonderin' aloud...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder how much off that "it's all about me" attitude is what goes with being a high level athlete in any sport. I mean, those folks NEED a lot of self-confidence, no? I don't know...just wonderin' aloud...
A friend here in Oriental was the WBB coach at Georgetown a bunch of years ago. A while back I asked her opinion regarding NIL. She said the transfer portal is a bigger issue in women's basketball than NIL. And, NIL in the men's game is not radically different now than 25-30 years ago. More players are getting money, but only a few are getting enough to pick one school over others.

She's a Duke supporter, so I doubt she's ratting on the offenders.