NIL for Buzz

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
No, this is not clickbait. I’m serious about this.

Buzz, our popular and venerable mascot, truly deserves a rich NIL contract for representing Georgia Tech at all of the Institute’s sporting events.

He is a spectacular athlete who brings fun and smiles for everyone everywhere he goes — both from our fans and from fans of opposing teams.

He is a truly remarkable ambassador of good will for our Institute.

I say, pay each of the student-athletes who don the Buzz costume — whether it is a him and/or a her — a hefty NIL stipend for their labor of love.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I'm all for compensating them, and I believe to some degree they already are at many places, but it wouldn't be NIL. It isn't the student's name, image, or likeness that they would be profiting from by being in a complete body costume with a different name.
'

BurdellJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No, this is not clickbait. I’m serious about this.

Buzz, our popular and venerable mascot, truly deserves a rich NIL contract for representing Georgia Tech at all of the Institute’s sporting events.

He is a spectacular athlete who brings fun and smiles for everyone everywhere he goes — both from our fans and from fans of opposing teams.

He is a truly remarkable ambassador of good will for our Institute.

I say, pay each of the student-athletes who don the Buzz costume — whether it is a him and/or a her — a hefty NIL stipend for their labor of love.

I second, third and fourth this. Buzz is a wonderful mascot and a terrific representative of the institute. He is the face of the school, at all sports for all seasons! He never has an off-season.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I'm all for compensating them, and I believe to some degree they already are at many places, but it wouldn't be NIL. It isn't the student's name, image, or likeness that they would be profiting from by being in a complete body costume with a different name.
'
I would venture to guess the paycheck was made out to “Ted Giannoulas”, not “The San Diego Chicken” 😁.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would venture to guess the paycheck was made out to “Ted Giannoulas”, not “The San Diego Chicken” 😁.
Yeah, I get what he’s saying though. However, he’s operating on a strict interpretation of NIL which, I think we all know, went out the window as soon as NIL went into place. It’s just compensation for work, pure and simple. Not many athletes will actually get their faces on a box of cereal.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I get what he’s saying though. However, he’s operating on a strict interpretation of NIL which, I think we all know, went out the window as soon as NIL went into place. It’s just compensation for work, pure and simple. Not many athletes will actually get their faces on a box of cereal.
I agree and was just being facetious. However, are mascots under the control of the NCAA, or are they free to receive any compensation they can get?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I agree and was just being facetious. However, are mascots under the control of the NCAA, or are they free to receive any compensation they can get?
I see no reason why Buzz couldn't be paid as an employee of GTAA, but they couldn't also be an S-A under current NCAA rules. And if paid by the AA, it can't be considered NIL, as currently direct NIL payments from the school are prohibited (or is that just for S-As? Not sure.)
A lot of these payment rules are being undermined as we speak due to recently settled lawsuits and others currently underway.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It is my understanding that Buzz also participates in many GT alumni functions, not just athletic events. Any GT alumni group or GT-associated entity can request Buzz’s appearance …

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Just saying, Buzz is not always a guy. I know a girl was Buzz part of the time when I was in school, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually more common as I don't think the suit(s) are very big.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
So, just as an FYI, when I was at GT 20ish years ago (and as far as I know, this hasn’t changed), Buzz actually had an endowment-type athletic scholarship that was spread between the different guys doing it, so we did get some compensation. Also, since we weren’t technically amateur athletes, we could receive pay for outside appearances like birthday parties and such, usually for $75/hour. Not bad for a college job, eh? Anyway, I’m not saying that we shouldn’t find some NIL cash for the people who get in the Buzz suit, but only that they have at least had something to help compensate for their time and effort through the years. In fact, it was enough for me, combined with other scholarships, that I was getting paid to go to GT my last few years, and for that, I am extremely grateful!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
So, just as an FYI, when I was at GT 20ish years ago (and as far as I know, this hasn’t changed), Buzz actually had an endowment-type athletic scholarship that was spread between the different guys doing it, so we did get some compensation. Also, since we weren’t technically amateur athletes, we could receive pay for outside appearances like birthday parties and such, usually for $75/hour. Not bad for a college job, eh? Anyway, I’m not saying that we shouldn’t find some NIL cash for the people who get in the Buzz suit, but only that they have at least had something to help compensate for their time and effort through the years. In fact, it was enough for me, combined with other scholarships, that I was getting paid to go to GT my last few years, and for that, I am extremely grateful!

I did not know that! Thank you for your informative post, SecretAgentBuzz.

I should also note that in my previous post on the Buzz Appearance Request Form above, there is a box for Appearance Type in which the following fees would be applied:

- GT Campus, Colleges, Divisions & Departments, $150 per hour.

- Personal Appearance/Private Event, $300 per hour.

- Corporate Event, $400 per hour.

Many thanks again, SecretAgentBuzz!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I agree with paying Buzz.

But there was a topic of convo on WSB yesterday about how much pro team mascots get paid. I thought the convo was a joke but maybe they were referring to this website i found while doing my own research.