Nice JT interview

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What a leader JT is! I deal with leaders in my work all the time. He oozes authenticity which is one leadership trait that is very hard for younger people to communicate and nearly impossible to fake. I can't wait to see what he accomplishes as leader of our offense these next 2 years. His combination of athleticism, fit for the system and intangibles is far more valuable and rare as the once in a while freakish athleticism the 5 star recruits other programs pin their hopes on.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
His personality is 180 degree turn from crab legs.

He often mentions he and CPJ are on the same page. There is a constant theme from both: (1) winning, (2) team, and (3) day by day getting better. Justin consistently stays on point and often deflects comments about his own accomplishments back to those three themes....a real mature trait.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He often mentions he and CPJ are on the same page. There is a constant theme from both: (1) winning, (2) team, and (3) day by day getting better. Justin consistently stays on point and often deflects comments about his own accomplishments back to those three themes....a real mature trait.
I think there is another similarity between JT and coach. Both seem to be less comfortable in media situations than they are on the field. Both guys are super intense and full of fire on the field but meek, mild and unassuming on the set.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think there is another similarity between JT and coach. Both seem to be less comfortable in media situations than they are on the field. Both guys are super intense and full of fire on the field but meek, mild and unassuming on the set.

And both speak straightforwardly with little if any embellishment. There is no "hype" in response to reporter's questions and I think it is at least partially because they take a mature professional "calm and committed" attitude to the game.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree on JT focus - my belief is its because he knows there are 3 (not just Byerley) that could take his spot any week. Have to work hard and improve every snap because those other guys are improving and they're good. CPJ loves that. Made ZL and SD so much better last year, and A backs and WRs, etc.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That's as comfortable and free-flowing as I've seen JT in an interview, ever. He's always seemed genuine in what he says, similar to CPJ, however it didn't seem like he had to pause to find the words in this one as he has in the past. Just shows that even as good as he was last year off the field and in a leadership role, he still had room to improve. Hope to see the same trajectory on the field this year as well.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
For me, the key moment also was when Justin didn't take the bait of the question about personal stats. Not that I felt the reporter was up to anything with the question at all. Still, most young guys (and I do believe "most") would have followed that line and described what their personal goals were.

Justin answered in a team context. Perfectly done, especially within the culture that has been set for our team.