My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Post up two 7’ and better who are 5 * and give me a spectacular point who can shoot with two lights out shooting guards and we go for the National Championship. It seems simple and appears exactly where we are going.
I don't think that approach is in CDS's playbook. He is much more of a perimeter approach - keep the lane open - and have a mobile big roll hard to the hole off of a high screen. I can't see him doing an old school UNC double post approach.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
The issue is there are very few “Game Changing” Big Ben in college basketball. There are not enough for most NBA teams to have one. There are ample Big Men that are just guys and that is where this discussion centers.

Is just a guy Big Man more valuable than really good smaller players.
Every GT fan should know the answer to this after one season under CDS

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think that approach is in CDS's playbook. He is much more of a perimeter approach - keep the lane open - and have a mobile big roll hard to the hole off of a high screen. I can't see him doing an old school UNC double post approach.
Having a big allows match up options to suit every game situation. Not having a big the allows the opponent to exploit.
That was obvious the last two years.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In 1990 LSU has O'Neal (7'1"), Roberts (7'0"), Geert Hammink (7'0"), Chris Jackson, and Mo Williamson and we still beat them in the 2nd round of the NCAAT with a 6'10" freshman Malcolm Mackey and 6'11" James Munlin.
View attachment 16047
(jk)
yes, but it took the best trio on one team on one team in Tech history probably to do it