Mutombo Transfers to GT

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Baye more of a 4 (at least in traditional terms)
I am not so sure he is a 4 unless and until he extends his shooting range. Our 4 needs to be able to make a 3 from the corner - or at least be a threat to make a 3 from the corner - and at the moment that ain't Baye. He is elite at the 5 spot in our offense. I am not sure who is going to replace him at the 5 spot on offense from the group we have - unless one of the other 5's can shoot from the perimeter and can play the 4 on offense and 5 on D.

The above is why Dowuona didn't stay in games and Baye went back to the 5 after a couple of minutes in most games. Duwuona was not good at the short roll in the offense and only decent around the rim (stone hands) plus Ndongo was not good at the 4 - no one respected him out there. So unless and until both of those issues are resolved - a new 5 is good at the short roll and Ndongo can hit from the perimeter - I don't see him getting moved. And I sure don't see him at the 5 as our weakest spot regardless of him getting overwhelmed at times by larger 5's (especially as it is likely he comes back next year 10 lbs of muscle heavier).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Without a doubt (imho) Baye will benefit from not having to play with his back to the basket when Mutumbo is in the game.

If he can open up the post for Baye to flash through, all the better.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW we very rarely play a 5 as a post or back to the basket game. Doesn’t mean we can’t or won’t next year but the system we ran last year was a high ball screen from the 5 with a roll from the top of the key. The 5 has to be able to play in motion and handle the ball around the foul line and make decisions with the ball.

From the little bit I saw of Mutombo (I am a Georgetown fan) and what I saw of Ndongo at the four last year, we would have to run a totally different offense with those two playing together

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm not as sure as the rest of you that Mutumbo is going to get meaningful minutes. He couldn't really find the court at a, no offense YIJacket, pretty awful squad in Georgetown. Epps was a decent player (but also very much a volume scorer - can't blame him, he had no help) but everything else I saw from Georgetown this season was awful.

I'm putting my eggs in the Doryan O. basket at this point.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I used Mutombo as he is the flavor of the month (hour). Whoever we put at the five instead of Ndongo has to be able to play the pick and roll game as well as he did and Ndongo has to be able to shoot from the perimeter or we have to play a totally different offense. Otherwise we have weakened both the five and four spot.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not as sure as the rest of you that Mutumbo is going to get meaningful minutes. He couldn't really find the court at a, no offense YIJacket, pretty awful squad in Georgetown. Epps was a decent player (but also very much a volume scorer - can't blame him, he had no help) but everything else I saw from Georgetown this season was awful.

I'm putting my eggs in the Doryan O. basket at this point.
I think Ryan’s first priority is an advanced degree near home after completing his undergrad in just 3 years. A student first and basketball is secondary to him as he is by all accounts a brilliant student who even tutored his teammates. Would love to know the back story how this all came about as he does not appear to have the goods that CDS is expected to be looking for. Great kid, great teammate, even when sitting the bench. And community/charity minded. Everyone at Georgetown loved him, even the basketball fans who didn’t believe he could play at their team’s level. Have the feeling he chose GT, rather than the other way around & CDS made an accommodation to him or someone. Haven’t read anywhere yet that he will be on scholarship. He will bring great positive energy off the court and be a nice practice body for Doryan to prepare against, but my expectation, barring some coaching miracles, he will be at the deepest end of the bench. This is a CDS decision so I don’t think it will negatively affect 2024-25. Just would love the facts behind it to understand it.