Most over-achieving ACC FB team since 1994: Georgia Tech

GTFLETCH

Banned
At the top is Georgia Tech, who had 49 NFL draft picks over the last 25 years. You would expect a team with just under 2 NFL players per season to win about 38.3% of its games - but somehow [ahem, triple-option] managed to win 56.4% of them instead - or +2.2 wins more than you'd expect a team with that level of talent to win.

Link
https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/04/doing-more-with-less-and-vice-versa.html

Deleted member 2897

At the top is Georgia Tech, who had 49 NFL draft picks over the last 25 years. You would expect a team with just under 2 NFL players per season to win about 38.3% of its games - but somehow [ahem, triple-option] managed to win 56.4% of them instead - or +2.2 wins more than you'd expect a team with that level of talent to win.

Link
https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/04/doing-more-with-less-and-vice-versa.html

And that's despite the ACC most years giving us the shaft on scheduling. Typically each year you would get your 1 bye week, and then you'd have 1 team with a bye week before playing you. In CPJ's 11 years, our opponents had 22 bye weeks - we had a couple years where 3 teams had bye weeks before us. If you look at our record against teams coming off a bye week when we didn't have one versus the other way around, it cost us about 1 win per season. So there's that too.

Hokie Mark

Georgia Tech Fan
And that's despite the ACC most years giving us the shaft on scheduling. Typically each year you would get your 1 bye week, and then you'd have 1 team with a bye week before playing you. In CPJ's 11 years, our opponents had 22 bye weeks - we had a couple years where 3 teams had bye weeks before us. If you look at our record against teams coming off a bye week when we didn't have one versus the other way around, it cost us about 1 win per season. So there's that too.
That's an interesting point, bwelbo... imagine if CPJ had averaged 1 more win... how would GT football have been viewed then?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Got to be 2014. That team won some really close and come from behind games. Losses to duke and UNC showed this was not a dominant team. Good win against Clemson and great win against UGA. Orange bowl. JT was just great that year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Got to be 2014. That team won some really close and come from behind games. Losses to duke and UNC showed this was not a dominant team. Good win against Clemson and great win against UGA. Orange bowl. JT was just great that year.
We were a tough team to beat at the end of the year, possibly the toughest in the nation. Maybe it’s just bad memory but our defense always concerned me as it has damn near every year since Tenuta left the Flats.

Why is it that when we have an offense, we have no defense? When we have a defense, we have no offense? A perplexing GT football fact for nearly more decades than I have been alive, save 1 very special year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Yea early on was a struggle. We were a Jamal Golden finger tip and a healthy Deshawn Watson away from a 4 loss season. But the last few weeks we were unstoppable. Oh and thanks too Pitt! 5 fumbles lol

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the linked article summarizes everything that has been said about CPJ over the last 3-4 years, whether pro or con, in a very tidy and concise manner. I don't want our program, when mentioned on this type of list in the future to be neither FSU and Miami OR Georgia Tech and Duke in terms of achievement against expectations.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think the 2014 Duke game was the one they stopped play due to a thunderstorm and we had a lead. Then they rolled JT ankle as he went out of bounds. Very intentional the way I saw it. Then we couldn't cover their TE. The UNC loss may have been the one that Smelter took an end around for a long TD with about 4 minutes left to take the lead but we hadn't stopped them all night and they scored late to win. I think that was 2014.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
id say by the end of the year, they were pretty dominant. beginning of the year? naa they were ok
Great offense in 2014 but D wasn't very good. Mississippi State actually had more offense yardage than we did. We made some great plays and got turnovers. I need to go back and watch that game. Also our current coach had left as their DC before the bowl game. One of the best wins under PJ excluding the UGA wins in Athens. The 1990 Nebraska bowl win was huge. Bobby Ross could flat out coach and had a great staff.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think the 2014 Duke game was the one they stopped play due to a thunderstorm and we had a lead. Then they rolled JT ankle as he went out of bounds. Very intentional the way I saw it. Then we couldn't cover their TE. The UNC loss may have been the one that Smelter took an end around for a long TD with about 4 minutes left to take the lead but we hadn't stopped them all night and they scored late to win. I think that was 2014.

yep on unc--the first time I've been upset about SCORING a TD.I KNEW we were dead with our DEF.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Great offense in 2014 but D wasn't very good. Mississippi State actually had more offense yardage than we did. We made some great plays and got turnovers. I need to go back and watch that game. Also our current coach had left as their DC before the bowl game. One of the best wins under PJ excluding the UGA wins in Athens. The 1990 Nebraska bowl win was huge. Bobby Ross could flat out coach and had a great staff.

Mississippi State got a lot of garbage stats late after the game was out of hand. And let's not forget that team had Dak Prescott, Benardrick McKinney (starting for the Texans) and maybe Chris Jones too (starting DT for the Chiefs), just off the top of my head.
In 90, we deserved a better matchup than Nebraska (ranked No. 18, IIRC) and the Citrus Bowl. Colorado, already a faux No. 1 with their other gifts, got another break with a phantom clip call after they were stupid enough to punt to the Rocket with a minute left in the game.
At least we took it out on Nebraska in very grand style.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Jameis Winston was not the same player in 2014 that won the Heisman Trophy the year before. But unfortunately for us he got it together in the ACC Championship. But with a good passing game, the triple option was really humming at the end of the year. Sitting by the Tech Band, I called the fade to Waller and the interception by DJ in Athens. I never thought Harrison would make that FG. I could see the kick was dead center, but it wasn't until the stadium went dead silent that I knew he had made it. Also, UGA had MR OVER RATED Leonard Floyd spying Justin on that third down run to set up the FG. He forgot what he was supposed to do and took a couple of steps into pass coverage. Justin took off. That 2014 video coverage with UGA's Scott Howard and Eric Zeir is my all time favorite video of Tech sports. I hope we will see a few more like this and Quay's 2016 run in the coming years!