Miami and the Cross Charge

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am re-watching the Miami 2013 game and they are cross charging a lot. The normal read would be to keep on a cross charge.

One difficulty is they are not taking the BB on the cross charge, but going for the QB.

We are able to get by them a few times because the DE does not play his assignment and allows the pitch to the A back.

I guess the only way to burn them on the cross charge taking the QB is to give to the BB despite the cross charge? A rocket toss could burn the cross charging OLB. A speed option is another option? The BB could hit the cross charging LB.

Any other solutions?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an expert, but I think the dive read is the 1st D on the line outside the PS OG. So, you could just read him instead of DE.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You have to be able to read the cross charge. If the DE goes outside, it is a give to the BB. But if the DE goes outside and the OLB goes inside it is a keep as the OLB has the B Back. The OLB is going after the QB and is ignoring the BB.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
@steebu has posted videos that cover the basic stunts. The QB has to learn to read #1 and #2 at the same time.

With the cross charge the defense is trying to trick the QB to read the DE and give the ball to the B-Back so he can be quickly tackled by the OLB:

The proper read for a cross charge, or "easy stunt" is to keep and quick pitch:

I'm not too worried about the cross charge from Miami since we just finished playing Bud Foster who loves to blitz the cross charge.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A missed blocks by #8 and #20 on the second one (Cross Charge Defeated) ...... the scheme gets us the numbers, just have to make the blocks!

Thanks. If we were playing an option team like this, I'd want my OLB to get a good hit on the QB every time he could. If he is going to commit to the QB, they should get something out of it.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
You have to be able to read the cross charge. If the DE goes outside, it is a give to the BB. But if the DE goes outside and the OLB goes inside it is a keep as the OLB has the B Back. The OLB is going after the QB and is ignoring the BB.

I would have changed the assignment for the LT. Have him chip with his left shoulder on the DE or miss him altogether and pick up the OLB. Still have the read key be the DE. The LT should have had an angle to really make a good block on him but he is releasing out to seal off the running lane. If we can't get to the running lane we need to get him there so block down on the OLB as he blitzes into the gap and wash him down the line of scrimmage.

Or just tell the BBack to go lay out the OLB...don't worry about taking the ball on the dive just crush the OLB.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......................Or just tell the BBack to go lay out the OLB...don't worry about taking the ball on the dive just crush the OLB.

Should do that every play if we have enough BBs. The OLB will not be as effective if he is beat up. I think Laskey and Days are up to it :punch:

I view the game of football as a lot like boxing; land a lot of punches early to weaken your opponent for later.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A missed blocks by #8 and #20 on the second one (Cross Charge Defeated) ...... the scheme gets us the numbers, just have to make the blocks!

Thanks. If we were playing an option team like this, I'd want my OLB to get a good hit on the QB every time he could. If he is going to commit to the QB, they should get something out of it.

Noticed that failure to block on the perimeter was also the downfall to the OP's cross charge clip and not necessarily the QB read. Maybe someone more sophisticated in this offense can tell me, but if Miami is playing our reads the same way on that play (looked the same in Steebu's tape as well), why don't we just read the OLB, have the LT sustain his block on the DE instead of releasing to the 2nd level, and have the playside AB "seal" the second level to the perimeter. If the OLB is releasing the BB, have the BB go directly to the charging free safety. We have a numbers advantage like you said..

Maybe CPJ already does this...he's notorious for changing up his blocking schemes. Looks to me, there are multiple variations on blocking assignments on this play to achieve the desired result. It all depends on how the defense wants to play our reads. Of course, defending and blocking isn't static so there's a lot of things each side can do to confuse the other.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Big Philly I agree and what you say works if the cross charging OLB goes for the BB and the DE goes QB. But what about the play I posted where the cross charge OLB goes for the QB, ignores the BB, and the DE takes the A Back. There is no way to tell if the OLB is going for the BB or QB.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
@Big Philly I agree and what you say works if the cross charging OLB goes for the BB and the DE goes QB. But what about the play I posted where the cross charge OLB goes for the QB, ignores the BB, and the DE takes the A Back. There is no way to tell if the OLB is going for the BB or QB.

I remember this from last year.
I think the OLB is actually just hedging here, checking first to see if the BB has it and if he thinks there's a pull, continuing to the QB.

It's a nice scheme. I think the answer is still to quick pitch. The DE shouldn't be able to get out there quickly enough to get to the AB. If he can, you need to make him more hesitant with other plays