MBob sees improvement in Men's Basketball (AJC link)

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski has felt the same frustration with the basketball season that Yellow Jackets fans have experienced.

When Tech plays at No. 23 Miami on Wednesday night (9 p.m., Fox Sports South), the Jackets will try to win their first ACC game after seven consecutive losses. In five of the seven defeats, the scoring margin has been three points or less at the one-minute mark of the second half.

“It hasn’t gone the way we all would like it to go,” Bobinski said Tuesday. “We certainly haven’t achieved the results that equate to the amount of effort that’s been put in from our coaches and our players and everybody working at it.”

That said, he sought to take heat off Gregory, whom many Tech fans want replaced. Asked if he had any problems with the way the team was being coached, Bobinski replied, “Not a bit. Nope.”

While Bobinski’s is the most important opinion, it is not necessarily a popular one. As losses have mounted, Tech fans on message boards and social media have called for a change in regime. Bobinski said he understood the frustration, but that the timing for conversations about Gregory’s job was inappropriate.

“We’re in the midst of the season and trying to right the ship,” he said. “The only thing that makes sense to do is be supportive of our coaches, our players and everyone that’s working hard, give them every bit of encouragement we can.”

Gregory is in his fourth season at Tech with an overall record of 52-62 and 16-43 in the ACC. Tech is 9-10 this season. Gregory’s contract, which was extended by a year at the start of the 2013-14 season, runs through the 2017-18 season at $1.075 million per season. Despite Tech enduring the fourth 0-7 start in ACC play in school history, Bobinski said he sees improvement.

“It’s really hard to say that when you don’t have the results to show for it,” Bobinski said. “It seems like a hollow statement and I fully recognize that, but I have seen things that have gotten better. What has happened is we’ve sort of had fits and starts, and while some things have gotten better, it’s like plugging a dyke. You stick your finger in there, water pops out somewhere else.

“What we haven’t had is that collective improvement on a night-in, night-out basis where everybody’s sticking to the plan and doing it the way we’re supposed to be doing it.”

For example, Tech was the least accurate 3-point shooting team in Division I after the Syracuse game Jan. 7, making 23.4 percent of its attempts. The Jackets have vastly improved since, shooting 32.9 percent in the five games since. That includes an 0-for-12 total against Virginia, the Jackets’ first game without a 3-pointer since February 2005.

Tech has typically played solid defense. However, when attempting a second-half comeback against Boston College on Sunday, the Jackets allowed the Eagles to shoot 59.1 percent, which was almost 16 percentage points higher than the Tech’s defensive field-goal percentage entering the game.

It was the second conference loss to a team with a first-year coach and no other ACC wins (Wake Forest was the other). Further, while the Eagles presented an unattractive matchup, the announced attendance of 5,587 was the lowest for any ACC game at three-year-old McCamish Pavilion, not counting two games last season that were affected by ice storms.

To make the postseason, which Bobinski said he thought was possible going into the season and after the 9-3 start in non-conference play, Tech will need a stunning turnaround over the final 11 regular-season games, which includes matchups with North Carolina, Duke and Louisville.

“Obviously, we’ve raised the degree of difficulty on that at this point in time, there’s no question about that,” Bobinski said. “You’ve got to adjust and continue to find objectives and goals that are meaningful for the rest of the season.”

Beating the Hurricanes would be the first.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans on message boards

Hey thats us! :cool:

Bobinski said he understood the frustration, but that the timing for conversations about Gregory’s job was inappropriate.

I agree with this, many of us said we would wait to pass judgement until the season ends, and let our frustration over the past few games lead to us expressing our frustration here. I think it's clear BG will not be fired midseason and I trust MBob to make the right decision at the end of the year

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think MBOB is a polished statesman... He is supporting his coach because RIGHT now is not the appropriate time to talk about a change in coaching from HIS position of leadership. It would undermine the team.

I'm sure those conversations are happening behind closed doors, like they would in any business environment. From a leadership standpoint, you have Apathy among the fans (look at our attendance), a product that isn't selling (look at our record) and a very high discontent among your consumer base (look at all the people calling for CBG's head).

There is no possible way he doesn't act on this. If he doesn't he will run the risk of losing his own credibility. This basketball season for GT has been really hard and the past couple of years have also been tough.

I have to believe with MBoB's track record of hiring successful basketball coaches that he is right man to have in his position.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@GTrob21 it is hard to argue the attendance is totally due to BG.. We have had a long standing issue with attendance since half way through CPH's tenure. I am not convinced it will be entirely solved just by winning.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
@GTrob21 it is hard to argue the attendance is totally due to BG.. We have had a long standing issue with attendance since half way through CPH's tenure. I am not convinced it will be entirely solved just by winning.
Certainly not going to happen when the Hawks are on a historic run and playing much more enjoyable basketball right down the street.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Attendance would absolutely surge if we returned to basketball like the glory days of Cremins. I for one would resume buying season tickets, which I dropped after a few of the horrible Hewitt years,

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Attendance would absolutely surge if we returned to basketball like the glory days of Cremins. I for one would resume buying season tickets, which I dropped after a few of the horrible Hewitt years,
I totally agree with this. GT has fans waiting for a reason to return, while everyone except for 3 people I know personally, 5 people I follow on Twitter, and the people who posted Hawks fandom on the NBA thread preseason, are bandwagon Hawks fans. Let's see them stick thru a downturn or even attend a playoff game.

Also, we have a much lower supply when the product is good.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was at GT 2003-2007 and still remember the sold out stadiums in years prior to 2004 season.. but I also remember tickets opening up quickly once we had a single bad season.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

I would think that there are many factors to the decline in attendance, but the record of the team has to be a major one. Whether He likes it or not, that falls directly on the shoulders of Gregory. I'm not calling for his head, because like MBOB, now is not the time.

But If our record was 17-2 or 16-3 instead of 9-10, I would wager a pretty heft sum that McCamish would be averaging a lot more fans, especially when we have big name marquee opponents coming into town.

I remember after our National title appearance, the season tickets for Basketball sold out in a day... Again not blaming Gregory completely, but a good exec has to take his record into consideration.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
agree with you there, just saying the second season after the National Title Appearance it was easy to get them again.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
agree with you there, just saying the second season after the National Title Appearance it was easy to get them again.
The drop-off was rapid. We went lost in the Rd of 32 the following year due to just being immensely banged up, then got caught shorthanded with Jarrett Jack going pro & Austin Jackson going pro in baseball. Had no PG until Crittenton arrived and that year was underachieving also.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought the article was well placed AD speak.
I'm sure he likes Gregory, everybody does. He's not going to throw the coach under the bus in the middle of the season or create more issues by hinting he doesn't have his support.
What it tells me is he is likely to wait until the end of the season and evaluate the whole year, not 19 games and see where we are.

I have a number in my head that I think Gregory has to get to to keep his job. He can still get there, but the first 7 conference games have made it alot more difficult.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't disagree dtm - just saying that the attendance at GT has been pretty fair weather for a long time. I find it hard to believe the vocal opposition of BG is waiting in the wings to snap up tickets for a new coach.

At the end of the day if we win more then we will have better attendance regardless of the coach. The question for me becomes can BG get us there.. I think he could if he was able to bring in an Offense minded assistant

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Atlanta is a great town for basketball when we put good products on the hardwoods. Just look at the attendance of the Hawks lately. We play in the premier conference in America and can draw far more sidewalk basketball fans than football.

AMC used to rock when we were good and MP is state of the art, we start winning and the joint will be jammed with not only Tech fans /Alum but local hoops fans that want to watch the best college basketball in the country.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When discussing a fire one had better have some certainty the next hire will be an upgrade.

I haven't watched enough bball to have e very strong opinion here. But I will say this. BG inherited u dumpster fire and I knew it would take time to recover. Will it under his guidance? No idea. BG seems to be pretty good with Xs and Os in the games I have watched. The talent gap is obvious IMO. The big question in my mind is can he recruit elite players? He hasn't yet but he didn't have much to work with in his first two recruiting years. Things were pretty awful back then and the hill to climb is still pretty steep.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What games did you watch? UGA and Miami?

Only game I've watched this year was the Charlotte game. Saw a little of the UGA game but not much of it. I've watched a few games here and there the last couple of years. Small sample size admittedly but I think I clarified that already.