Madden's take on big wide receivers, gloves

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A really interesting view of big WRs are the vogue. Good news for GT guys. But maybe not if they wear those gloves. The piece can be found at

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-qa-john-madden-20150524-story.html#page=1

The owners voted this week to move back extra-point kicks; what's the next competitive issue the league should address?

I don't know when they'll ever do anything about this, but you know those gloves receivers wear? It's making it very easy to catch a ball. You see more one-handed catches where guys are pushing off with the other hand. No one looks at those gloves. I saw them when I was at a meeting in Indy. They passed them around and somebody made the comment that, "Pretty soon, these gloves are going to be able to catch a ball without a hand in them."

You've talked about this being a good era for tall receivers. Why is that?

It used to be a guy would make a move, get separation and get open. Now, they get very little separation. The quarterback has to get rid of the ball quickly, so there's not a lot of time to make moves to gain separation. So when they lost that, they did something in lieu of that, and that was to go up. So that's where we are today.